Thread subject: Homeroasters - Home Roasting Coffee Community :: Direct Fire Roasting??

Posted by texh on 09/21/2016 12:08 AM

hey all...
so i saw a online video of direct fire roasting and the end result was pretty even so i thought why not try it..
i have a netting basket in which i added around 60gm of colombian supremo and used stove top as my fire source.. agigtated the beans by shaking the basket continously.. the roast took around 6:30mins, 1Crack at 4:15mins lasted around a min and when first crack ended after 15-20secs i took it off the fire and cooled it..
overall result was kind of even i think it seems more even then wok roast.. anywho i have posted the pics here, please check it out and comment/advice..
btw the pics are 5% lighter in colour to orignal bean colour..

used this as my utensil
i.imgur.com/I5ci9Vh.jpg

Final Result:
i.imgur.com/Fn0JgY0.jpg

Posted by ChicagoJohn on 09/21/2016 4:02 AM

looks pretty good... how's it taste?

Posted by texh on 09/21/2016 4:38 AM

ChicagoJohn wrote:

looks pretty good... how's it taste?

ill taste it after 3 days.. just roasted today...

do they look even or look like made on a popcorn popper or SR500??

great to hear good comment from such an experienced member

Posted by seedlings on 09/22/2016 2:41 AM

I bet it tastes fantastic! Sometimes we focus too much on evenness of roast. Once you get used to roasting a certain coffee, try a melange of three roasts, one very light, one medium, and one dark (by dark, I never mean black, I mean before 2nd crack is completed).

CHAD

Posted by texh on 09/22/2016 3:25 AM

seedlings wrote:

I bet it tastes fantastic!

i really doubt it.. thou i havnt tasted it yet but all my roast that i have done and tried they all same almost like instant coffee... i have no idea why.. i did made a separate post regarding this issue

Posted by texh on 09/23/2016 1:21 AM

did another experiment with roasting.. tweaked my process.. here is the result.. seems to me v.even...thou it was wayyy hardworking process.. please check the pic and comment/advice

i.imgur.com/JhPQOOw.jpg

Posted by seedlings on 09/23/2016 8:04 AM

Advice: Drink and tell.

CHAD

Posted by allenb on 09/23/2016 2:58 PM

the roast took around 6:30mins, 1Crack at 4:15mins lasted around a min and when first crack ended after 15-20secs i took it off the fire and cooled it..

all my roasts that i have done and tried they all seem almost like instant coffee... i have no idea why..

Coffees that will open up and give up the flavors they're capable of at a 6:30 finish are very rare. I remember certain Guats and Costas in the early 90's that would explode with flavor with a short 6 min roast but I haven't seen any like that for quite a while. Aim for 4 to 5 min to yellow, another 4 to 5 to 1C, then finishing a light roast 1 to 1.5 minutes later, or if going towards a Vienna, get there at 2-2.5 later. I'm sure you will notice a dramatic improvement in complexity and low notes and total elimination of the instant coffee nasties.

Allen

Edited by allenb on 12/31/1969 12:00 PM