Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:24 AM
Grin snwcmpr

snwcmpr
09/04/2019 4:47 PM
Welcome Shoron

shoron
09/02/2019 8:01 AM
I am shoron !! Just to find out some information I am here :)

Andyr
09/02/2019 6:09 AM
Ah, never mind, thanks! I figured it out.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,129
Newest Member: GreenBeans
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
CoffeeAir I - Roaster Build Log
seedlings
Here's the cleaned Kirby motor set up with a piece of aluminum flashing:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Kirby1.jpg

And the top view:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Kirby2.jpg

This is the "test tube" with more aluminum flashing, a sink strainer at the bottom and some aluminum screen at the top to keep the beans in... HA, more on that later:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Kirby3.jpg

Inside:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Kirby4.jpg

Here's how the "test tube" fits on the Kirby setup:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Kirby5.jpg

And the entire test set:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Kirby6.jpg

By itself, with no load, the kirby draws about 8 amps on full. This test setup lofted 2+ pounds of beans with 2.55 amps draw from the motor.

Video: (large files, open with quicktime)
http://s206.photo...offee2.flv

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/03/2008 6:10 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Viridian
Chad, It looks to me like you found a good source for lofting your beans. 2.5A to loft 2 lbs? Does it get any better I ask you? Of course, a Kirby is quality stuff. I can't believe you found one for $10.
Just a quick point. Perf plate works much better at the bottom of the cone. My first roaster had mesh and the beans did not flow well. I understand that this is just a test setup. Just be sure to use perf on your final.

Erik

Viridian
Ok, and I have to say it. I can't believe how well you have documented your empiricism. Well done.

Erik
Edited by Viridian on 08/25/2008 2:23 AM

Dan
Another plug for the Kirby is how the unit has the exhaust parallel to the motor making for a compact setup.

Erik, Just so you know, you can edit previous posts to add what you forgot.

http://www.intactamerica.org
seedlings
Dan and Erik, you both enthusiastically support the perf plate in leiu of screen or mesh. Why do perforations work so much better than mesh? I noticed a pretty darn good flow.

CHAD

Viridian
Dan wrote:
Erik, Just so you know, you can edit previous posts to add what you forgot.

Is that preferable? I'll try to do that then.

Chad, when compared against the screen perf flows much better. If you are at the edge of being able to loft and move the beans it makes a big difference. The screen is not a smooth surface and gives resistance to the bean flow. Just what I have observed.

If you have trouble finding any suitable perf let me know. I had promised to send some to Wes and never did, so I need to come through for somebody.
Edited by Viridian on 08/25/2008 2:27 AM

seedlings
With this test I observed the entire chunk of beans rise about an inch in the hopper before they explode into motion.

I'm trying to decide if, as you said, a more effecient, popper style, roast chamber should be investigated, but I've never turned down a free offer from a willing party B)

The Sonofresco uses perforated plate on the entire bottom of the roast chamber.

CHAD

Dan
I tried both during my tests. With the screen you have what is essentially one, large orifice (opening). If you divide that same area up into many small orifices and then move them apart, you will have the same cfm flow (more or less), but it will be spread out over a larger portion of the roasting chamber. What this means is that if you have enough pressure you can loft a greater diameter column of beans. This leads to quicker and more uniform heating of your beans. If your blower is a bit on the puny side, then use the screen method.

http://www.intactamerica.org
seedlings
Here's the main section of the hopper. It's roughly 4.5" in diameter and 10" tall. There will be a chunk of perf plate recessed about 1" from the bottom, which will allow the hot air to be forced evenly up through the bottom of the bean mass.

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
Hopper1[1072].jpg

seedlings
Unable to find 4.5" aluminum tubing, the bottom portion is 6" aluminum flashing. About 6 layers of it equalled the width of the glass in the globe. A length of 85" was cut, then a 3/8" strip was taken out of the entire width except for 15" on each end. This allowed the glass globe to fit snugly between an inner and outer lip of the coiled flashing. I dotted the flashing with some RTV silicone, coiled up all but the last 15", added a small bead of RTV around the lip of the flashing, set the globe, wrapped the last 15" around and taped to set.

Rivots will be added to hold it all together permanently.

CHAD
Hopper design[1073].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 08/28/2008 4:18 AM

seedlings
Here's the basic new design around the Kirby motor. We'll see if it works???

CHAD
AirRoast1alpha[1074].jpg

Island Addict
That is a very elegant way of constructing a roast chamber.
s:2
I hope you don't mind if I copy it for my Poppery modifications.

One thing I've wondered is whether there is a risk of the glass breaking from the metal expanding/contracting with heat. I'm guessing it's not a problem, but I can't shake a fear of the glass exploding exactly at the moment when I have my eyeballs close up to observe the roast.
Rob

seedlings
Island Addict wrote:
That is a very elegant way of constructing a roast chamber.
s:2
I hope you don't mind if I copy it for my Poppery modifications.

One thing I've wondered is whether there is a risk of the glass breaking from the metal expanding/contracting with heat. I'm guessing it's not a problem, but I can't shake a fear of the glass exploding exactly at the moment when I have my eyeballs close up to observe the roast.

Well, based on Murphy's Law, there's no other time it could possibly break!

I really didn't think about that at all ~SHOCK~ . The flashing is pretty darn thin and it flexes very well, as does the silicone so there shouldn't be any risk at all of the glass breaking from heating the metal. There's only one lap of flashing on the inside and one lap on the outside, 3/8" tall, so there's not much metal to flex.

Poppery modifications, you say? Be sure to start a thread with all your experiments so we can learn! And, DO NOT COPY my methods... IMPROVE THEM!!!!!!!!!
;););)

I just paid $1.50/lb for scrap aluminum to make perf plates. That's just insane.

CHAD

Viridian
Very nice looking design. My offer still stands for perf. PM if you want it.

RoasterRob
Hi Chad I don't know if you ever saw this -
http://www.youtub...IOZRlliQ2U - bean flow in one of my roast chambers. Only about 20 or 25% of the bottom plate is perforated.
We had a thread going here a year or so ago about perf plates, size holes etc.

Rob s:6
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

seedlings
Erik, I got some 1/8" thick aluminum (hap-hazardly fabricated into some sort of mounting box) that I'd planned to just dril myself. There's more than enough for a couple of plates. In fact, I'd hoped to put all the holes on a 30 degree angle so that the air coming in wouldn't go straight up, but cause circular flow of the beans also. That idea may just be semantics, but I'd considered it.

Rob, I've been teased by your :10 video many, many times. Thank you for posting it... but... how about a longer one? Or a time-lapse? Pretty-please? Especially with how you load and unload.

Thanks, guys.

CHAD

seedlings
Here's the home made perf plate using a 5/16 bit and elongating the holes. With any luck this may help circulate the beans. May need more holes, I don't know yet.
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Perf.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/PerfHopper.jpg

This is the old space heater the coils are salvaged from:
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/HeaterSalvage.jpg

Here's the heater riser tube made from 2.5" aluminzed steel muffler pipe. Coils are very taught, but I am still a little worried about shorting, although it tested flawlessly at all velocities.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Heater1.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Heater2.jpg

Now off to get supplies to start on the enclosure.

CHAD

RoasterRob
Hey Chad, will do but some time in the next few weeks.
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

seedlings
RoasterRob wrote:
Hey Chad, will do but some time in the next few weeks.

Call me dense, but I'm not sure what you mean, Rob? ***edit: Oh, yeah, a new video of your roasting. Sorry, but I had to go back and re-read to remember what I asked you!

Thanks, Rob!
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 08/30/2008 12:36 PM

EddieDove
Chad,

Your innovative prowess is impressive. This is a fascinating thread.

Kudos to all other contributors as well.
Edited by EddieDove on 09/01/2008 2:56 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
Jump to Forum: