Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in your cup?
allenb
In my cup a few minutes ago is Rwanda Misozi and is another spectacular coffee that would easily rate in the 90's. If anyone is after a true chocolate bomb with plenty of other nice notes thrown in you'll have to give this coffee a try. I roasted it very light and with a generic 5:30-4:00-1:40 profile. In looking at HM's writeup below, this coffee should also handle a dark roast just as well. Acidity was not excessive at all from a light roast.

Royal's writeup on the source:
Misozi Kopakaki is grown in the Karongi
District of western Rwanda by over
800 small farmers. The farmers in this area,
in an effort create the best coffee possible,
have pooled their coffee, resources and
knowledge together by forming a cooperative
they called Kopakaki. After forming their
coop, they joined a group of coops called
Misozi to aid in the final processing and
exportation of their coffee. The Misozi
and Kopakaki coops are proudly certified
Fair Trade to guarantee transparency and
fairness throughout their growing community

HM's writeup:
Kopakaki grows only bourbon varietal, at 4500 feet above sea level in the south-western part of the country, north of Burundi.
The complexity of this coffee is unexpected. It is sugary sweet and very fruity. It is winey and bright like a Kenya, and depending on whether you take it a few degrees lighter or darker, you taste notes of apple, cranberry, red wine, raspberry, lime, caramel, and/or peach. It has medium body and medium acidity. We roast it not quite into the 2nd cracks to best enjoy the sweetness and fruity notes of this coffee without the acidity being overpowering. This bean makes a great espresso or espresso component when you take it 30 seconds into the 2nd cracks, but otherwise, it's not an ideal coffee for dark roasts.
The coffee came into the US in September 2015.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BenKeith
Allenb When I can, I like to analyze profiles to see how others are roasting and see how they do things compared to me.
When you say in your first phase it's 5:30. At what point are you considering the end of it. White, yellow or tan. On most beans with my roaster, white comes at approx. 300F degrees, yellow comes at approx. 320F and tan is about 340F with FC coming at about 398 (the point of steady snaps). I'm figuring it must be right at tan because that's about the point I'm approx. 50% through my roast. However, you are about a minute longer on the Maillard to FC and a Minute shorter on the development with only 15% in development. How does this roast do as for flavors?
For me, a light roast is just about the last snap of the FC, which is about as light of a light roast as I get. I try to stay away from anything that might add add that hay/earthy flavor to them.

I haven't tried anything like that yet, at least not on purpose, and it haven't long been where I would stop on that soon. I don't care for roast that actually sting the sides of your tongue where they are so acidic, and definitely don't care for that earthy, Sumatran taste.

allenb
What I'm showing as the end of the first leg of the roast is when BT hits 300F and color is yellow just prior to shifting to tan. I'm hitting between 398 to 402F when snaps become steady. Obviously, every roaster's sensor will read differently and especially between a drum and a fluidbed due to the higher convection flow rate.

I typically try for 4 min from 300F to first crack on every new arrival and stretch or shrink based on how it cups. Some coffees, as I think this one will turn out to be, are very flexible and forgiving as to what profile you use as long as you don't wander too far from typical profiles that have worked with your roaster. As you pointed out, the development phase was a little quick but I also like to try this with new coffees to see if it creates the sour lemon or if I'm lucky, allows the delicate florals and fruit notes to explode and at the same time have a thick, pleasant acidity. Fortunately, this coffee didn't need 20% for the development phase and turned out a stellar cup but I will now experiment with stretching this to see if it can be even better. I would say that 75% of the coffees I get don't turn out that great with less than a 20 development phase. But, 75% of what I get also requires you to do some roasting gymnastics to find the sweet spot and give great results.
It's like Christmas morning for me when I find a rare gem of a coffee without having to pay the high $ for a 90+ point gesha and doesn't make you chase your tail trying to find a profile that works.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BenKeith
Since I use a PID to control mine, I have to plan everything up front so I made up a spread sheet for what I consider my basic profile. I generally do a 120 gram roast (about as small as I can go) to see how it does and then adjusting where I think it needs it.
For my basic profile for every first roast ending below 428F I go 34% to white (300F), 50% to tan (340F), 77.5% to rolling FC. (398). These temps are adjusted when needed to match the color of certain beans because the PID doesn't have a clue what White, Tan and FC is.
The PID takes the gymnastics out of it, but does make the brain work a little harder sometimes. I just increase/decrease what/where I want for the next try and it does that temp/time within a couple of seconds. If I like it, it repeats it exactly each time after that.
I'm going to give yours a try and see how it does. I always like trying other's profiles when I can get one that's in a way I can use it. When they just post temps, they are pretty much useless to me because temps only mean something to the roaster they are on.

allenb
BenKeith wrote: The PID takes the gymnastics out of it, but does make the brain work a little harder sometimes.

What I meant by "gymnastics" was meant to describe the chores of coming up with varying profiles, trying them and keeping track of them and finally settling on the one that gets a particular coffee to cup well. Controlling a drum roaster manually with continuously variable power output to track a profile based on a time/rate of rise profile is amazingly easy and requires minimal interaction with the controls. (They sort of fly themselves). I learned a while back that to be able to change profiles quickly and be able to tweak a profile during a roast as needed with minimal frustration, I needed to control it manually. The only time I'll use my automation capabilities is when I've got to run several lbs of the same bean in multiple batches which maintains consistency. Otherwise, I would get very bored watching the roaster run itself every time.

Allen

nomadjeff
Today I'm drinking coffee made by a coffee shop in Vilnius "Her Excellency". I found this place by reading vilniusplayground blog. It's really worth visiting and tasting. Great coffee. Make sure to try it yourself if you'll ever come to Lithuania. :)

Jump to Forum: