Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

her63
· 06/02/2020 9:10 AM
keep healthy bro, love roaster form home

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
JackH

Total Members: 6,594
Newest Member: goat4hooves
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My thermometer broke
boyntonstu
Several months ago, after my thermometer broke, I continued to roast without it.

I just realized that I do not miss it.

If anything, I believe that my roasts are better without it.

I pay attention to the sound of the 1C and I 'feel' my way by smoke, etc. to stopping the roast just prior to 2C.

FWIW

BoyntonStu;)
Edited by boyntonstu on 02/26/2008 7:09 AM

seedlings
Hey Stu, how long do you feel it should take to get from the END of 1C snaps to your stopping point just before 2C?

Smell reminds me to check the thermometer temp, which I've recently grown accustomed to.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Justin Marquez
When I roast in the RK Drum, I use a thermometer to hold the inside air temp at my target. I run a timer as a reality check on how long before C1, etc. (The same timer which appears in the photos accompanying my cooler contest entry.)

When I roast with the HG/DB, no thermometer used at all, but again the timer is running as cross-check on progress.
Safe Journeys and Sweet Music!
-----------------------------------
Coffee gear: HG/DB and RK Drum, Solis Maestro Plus, Cuisinart 975 Drip, Presspot, Aeropress and "cowboy coffee"

Guat. Antigua from R Dalton Coffee
boyntonstu

seedlings wrote:
Hey Stu, how long do you feel it should take to get from the END of 1C snaps to your stopping point just before 2C?

Smell reminds me to check the thermometer temp, which I've recently grown accustomed to.

CHAD

It feels about 1.5 to 2.5 minutes.

Sometimes it feels like 157 seconds.;)

Kaffee Bitte
My roasting is a more a sensory experience too. I have a digital thermometer, but it only tells me what the temp is inside the grill. I honestly never have a clue what the bean mass temps are. I just time my roasts and adjust on the fly based on smell, sound and a little bit on sight. If I could work out a good bean mass probe though I would be watching that as closely as I was the smells and sounds.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
Hoomin Bean
I too find myself going a lot by smell and sound, but I keep my eye on the thermometer. Partly because I'm not experienced enough, partly because my bbq overheats so easily. I love looking on ebay at antique roasters - stovetop, fireplace or stand alone with charcoal bed. Nothing digital going on there! The smaller the unit, the more roasting is like knowing how to cook food. The bigger you get, the more industrial the controls, as more product is at risk. DIY roasting seems to me the best way, bar none, to really experience and understand the process.

Ed

www.hoboed.net
Kaffee Bitte
I think that no matter what you are using to roast a great deal of the process will be smell and sound. Even the commercial roasters rely on these things, despite having tricked out temp probes and more control over variables.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
Jump to Forum: