Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We already believe my roasts are better than what we have b

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,193
Newest Member: wclark5179
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee related Glossary/Jargon/Slang.
Kaffee Bitte
bvwelch suggested this, and it seemed a very good idea so post away in this area any and all coffee terms that you use or might be abreviated often. Also any slang such as my personal favorite "spro"

To start off. I'll throw down a few. I will also update this first post to add anything and everything you all throw at me.

1st (or 1C, or C1) first crack
2nd (or 2C or C2) second crack

delta T - change in temperature

Spro-- espresso (also espro)
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
bvwelch
Thanks. there are a bunch of brand-names and model names that are thrown around. It would be great to collect them all here too. like rocky, silvia, gaggia, DB/HG, SC/TO, I've slowly learned a few of these.
portafilter? clover? oscar?

Maybe we need a game-show like "know your [appliance] components".

TC thermocouple- used for high-temp measurements
SSR - solid state relay
PID - actually the name of an algorithm, but often refers to an off-the-shelf box that can control roasting and/or brewing
Triac - electronic gizmo found inside SSR or "dimmer".
'555 - a small electronic chip that is used for timer and control functions

bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/03/2008 9:02 AM

MarkBart
Miss Silvia is an espresso machine (low end) made by Rancilio
Rocky is a flat burr grinder made by Rancilio.
pf or portafilter hold the grounds holder an espresso machine uses to make espresso
a 'Nekid" portafilter has the bottom cut out of it so one can see the coffee as it exits the grounds holder. it is used to judge the quality of the tamp, grind, and any other mystical things that effect the coffee
switch with poofy cloud - probablly steam switch

I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!

seedlings
A Clover machine is a relatively new coffee brewing machine. For lack of a better explanation, it is a one cup at a time reverse french press. The machine costs like $10,000. In a coffee shop it allows each cup of coffee to be varied as the customer (or barista) prefers. As I understand the clover mixes the grounds with the water, waits, then lifts a "screen plunger" up to allow the coffee to drip out the bottom instead of being poured from a french press type pitcher.

Oscar is another espresso machine by Nuova Simonelli. It's about a $900 machine, which by espresso geek standards is "entry level" (I'm almost kidding B) ). Other one-name espresso machines include the Anita and the Alexia, both by Quickmill, FF! is the brand Francis! Francis!

DB = dog bowl (stainless steel dog dish ) ~ any stainless steel bowl
BM = breadmaker
SC = "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that spins the kernals (beans) around on top of a hot surface
TO (aka UFO) = a "turbo oven", which is a "lid" for a pot with a heat element and blower built in, made famous in infomercials.
HG = heat gun
GC = Genecafe coffee roaster

Fun!
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/04/2008 2:05 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

David
Great thread, guys. It will save me a bunch of Googling for jargon and slang.
----

One correction: UFO is a beefier form of a StirCrazy popper.
So, it is used as a bottom section, rather than as a top.

It's main advantage is its stronger stirring motor.

bvwelch
what is a screen, screen size? with regards to grading coffee?

seedlings
Has to do with the size of bean that will pass through a particular size of hole. I suppose the "less mature" a bean from a given estate is, the smaller it will be.

If it's screened to XYZ size, then all the beans are no smaller than XYZ. I went to a cupping at a local roaster, The Roasterie, and they took a coffee and screened it to 3 different sizes, 16, 17 & 18 as I remember. So there were 4 cups:

1) size 16 beans
2) size 17 beans
3) size 18 beans
4) the original lot from the estate, which included beans of varying sizes.

Note that the roaster said he had to go through 5 pounds of coffee to get a few ounces of each screen size. Apparently meaning that there was not much variation in the original bag.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Kaffee Bitte
seedlings wrote:
Has to do with the size of bean that will pass through a particular size of hole. I suppose the "less mature" a bean from a given estate is, the smaller it will be.

While the maturity of the bean may be a factor from some regions, there are others that have wild variations in bean size. Think about the DP's out there. I think the more determining factor here would be the varietal of the coffee trees and where they were grown.
Lynn

bvwelch
hmm, I still have questions-- are we just wanting all the beans to be the same size, or do we want all to be large, or what? which is larger, 16 or 18?

thanks,

-bill

Kaffee Bitte
18 is the larger size if I understand it correctly. Uniform bean size will lead to more even roasts, provided it isn't a dry process. But uniformity isn't always the best guide for what will be the best coffee. Some regions are better about sorting the coffee for size. Others just don't bother with it. Many of the wet process coffees tend to be screen sorted. Pulped naturals often are as well, though this also depends on where they are from. Dry process coffees aren't usually sorted by screen, so they may have a great deal of variation. Think about what Ethiopians and Yemens look like and you will see what I mean. They tend to be highly variable.
Lynn

David
While there tends to be an assumption that bigger is better for a lot of coffees, it is only one factor. Kenya AA is 17 and 18 [17/64ths and 18/64s of an inch diameter]. That some coffee purveyors call AA a "grade" of coffee [implying quality not size] only helps to confuse the issue for consumers.

BTW, if you see coffee graded as I,II,III, run - it's robusta! s:7

Here is a good source of info: http://www.coffee...ansize.htm
Here's another: http://www.gardfo....beans.htm

gardfoods.com also has a good glossary of coffee terms.
Yeah, but I bet they don't know about HG/DB/UFO/etc!
Well, they do know about HG, but they think it means High Grown!
s:8

Justin Marquez
I roasted some Nicaraguan coffee this weekend. It was labelled SHG EP.

OK, I think the SHG = Strictly High Grown.

What does the EP mean?
Edited by Justin Marquez on 02/06/2008 12:08 AM
Safe Journeys and Sweet Music!
-----------------------------------
Coffee gear: HG/DB and RK Drum, Solis Maestro Plus, Cuisinart 975 Drip, Presspot, Aeropress and "cowboy coffee"

Guat. Antigua from R Dalton Coffee
Kaffee Bitte
EP stands for European Prep. It is used especially for Central Americans, meaning that the preparation of the coffee was at the highest standards.
Lynn

Donut Dog
hey, way cool thread. this place is becoming a one stop shop for information and fun.

bd (cooper) Chief Coffee Bot

s:8s:8s:8

Kaffee Bitte
I know, Bill ( bvwelch ), had a great idea with this one. It can help new roasters get up to speed and hopefully everyone else will learn something they didn't know before.
Edited by EddieDove on 02/09/2008 11:35 AM
Lynn

David
EP = European Prep

I'll get a reference. :(

David
"European and American Preparation refer to the hand process of
removing defective beans and foreign matter (pebbles) from a given
amount of green beans.
European Preparation allows up to 8 defects per 300g of beans and
American Preparation allows up to 23 defects per 300g of beans."

Found here.

That comment refers the reader on to coffeeresearch.org
http://www.coffee...aclass.htm,where it is noted that
"Specialty Grade Green Coffee...
beans have no more than 5 full defects in 300 grams of coffee."

cup_in_hand
The key term here is full defect. Different defects have different values of how many constitute a full defect. And defects are categorized as either a Primary defect or Secondary defect. For instance while it takes 5 broken beans or 2-3 parchment beans to make a full defect it only takes 1 full black bean to make a full defect.

you can find pictures of defectshere.

EP and other similar process go through extra steps to remove defects and improve the coffee.
Fortunately for us specialty coffee is generally free of major defects, although being a natural raw product the occasional defect will slip through.:)
Edited by cup_in_hand on 02/15/2008 7:03 PM
Anton
A life without coffee is a life not worth living.

Kaffee Bitte
I thought I would add a few more terms.

SHG- strictly high grown-
SHB- strictly hard bean-
These two terms mean pretty much the same thing, since a hard bean only comes from coffee trees that grow at or above 1000 meters. Please feel free to correct me if that altitude is incorrect, it is more my own understanding of the terms so far. Also these terms are really only used in Central and South America. The other growing regions don't seem to grade beans on altitude at all.

I find it somewhat easy to tell the difference between a high grown coffee and a low grown coffee. After roasting take a couple beans and give them a good old fashioned bean munch. A high grown coffee will usually require a bit more force to chew whereas a low grown coffee will almost seem to just fall apart.

There are also weight differences. Try roasting a pound of low altitude Brazil and a pound of coffee that you know was grown at very high altitude. The Brazil will almost certainly take up a good deal more space in whatever container you put them in, for the same weight.
Lynn

bvwelch
This thread's been idling too long, so I'll "break the crust", stir, and see what happens.

I've seen references to "spro", and I've seen discussions about eXpresso versus espresso...

I thought I'd reminisce about my first encounter with espresso -- I was a non-coffee, non-wine drinker, suddenly thrust into a two week-long business trip to Paris. The year was 1987 I think. The local guys took a coffee break every afternoon. This meant leaving the office, walking across the street to a cafe, and sitting down with the guys. The first few days, I sipped some bottled water (a story in itself, perhaps another time). Then I started ordering the espresso and just letting it sit there. Eventually I took a sip and was hooked.

Why do I clutter up this thread with such a tale? Because, in Paris, you ask for it like this: "un express, s'il vous plait". That is right, it has an X, and it sounds like you'd expect, as in Federal Express. And there is no "O" on the end either.

I only learned later that it was actually an Italian coffee that they were ordering.

After that, I began experimenting with other coffees that were available in Paris. I liked the cafe creme pretty well.

The "locals" that introduced me to espresso, sipped theirs while gripping a sugar cube between their teeth. I didn't try that myself.

-bill

ps: ask me about how I was pick-pocketed by two 12 year old youths in the Paris Metro (subway)
Edited by bvwelch on 04/12/2008 6:18 PM

Jump to Forum: