Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 2
eglausier, DaddyBo

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
vintage columbian green beans
bvwelch
Greetings,

[ please excuse a newbie if this gets posted twice]

I'm just getting started with home roasting. I purchased some green beans from a local roaster. He recommended "vintage columbian", which is what I purchased. I'm having fun roasting them in my modified air popper from Walgreens. I'll write more about my hardware mods and embedded software in a separate thread if there is any interest.

My questions about these beans-- are they a good choice for a newbie, and what sorts of tasty variations can I realistically expect? I already know plenty about the charcoal end of the scale. :-)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bill

mehhistory
IMHO, any bean is a good place to start. The rule of thumb is generally that your worst homeroast will be better than most commercial coffees ie. Folgers, Starbucks(*$)
Above all, have fun. Take some kind of notes of your roasting process. Actual or elapsed time from startup to first crack until second crack and beyond if you want. You'll read a lot about monitoring temp but that can probably wait until you get the sight and sounds down.
Cooling methods vary a little. Storage should be airtight after a brief period of degassing - opinions will vary as to how long. Refrigerate, freeze or room temp storage?
Beware of 'vintage' coffee. Unless it's carefully stored, green coffee will lose its appeal over time just as wine carelessly stored will die.

All that being said, you have landed on the right place to start your coffee exploration. Enjoy the journey.
"In the vault, no one can hear you scream"

Today's cup of homeroast
seedlings
Ditto what ehhistory said.

The "Vintage Colombian" hopefully isn't, like, 20 years old, but rather a blend of colombians. It should offer a nice idea of what an average colombain might taste like. You'll never know how much you learned with it until you roast the next origin (or a different estate from the same country). THEN you'll be able to decide... which was better, which roasted faster, produced more chaff. Finally you'll have several of your favorite coffee origins at hand and you'll be attempting to do some sort of "holiday blend" for a friend you've met here.

You're on top of things. Please give us some pics and details about your popper mods! I can't get enough of that stuff!

Thanks,
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

cup_in_hand
Vintage coffees are coffees that have been stored or "Aged ", often for several years or more. The purpose of aging a coffee is to mute the acidity and bring out more body in a coffee. They make great blending components and can often stand on their own. Aged coffees usually have A lower moisture content and tend to be softer so a longer, slower roast with gentle heat usually brings out their best flavor.

P.S. My first post!Grin
Anton
A life without coffee is a life not worth living.

seedlings
Nice post, Anton! Good insight, too. I just figured vintage would mean a blend or "overall example of" XYZ coffee. The only "Vintage" coffee I've had, then, is the Monsooned Malabar. I didn't like it. Did it have body that lingered forever? YES! Only, the flavor wasn't my taste for coffee.

CHAD

Kaffee Bitte
Monsooned Malabar to my taste is best as an espresso blend component. I rarely if ever use it for straight brewing. Keep it around 15-25% and it won't overpower the blend, but will add some nice oddness to the spro.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
seedlings
Odness it will add! Hoping to add body to my "Christmas Blend" I sent PeterZ, I added a sprinkle of MM in there. Man, does it add body! I love the mouthfeel and the aftertaste, it's just the initial peculiar smell that I can't escape.

CHAD

Jump to Forum: