Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,468
Newest Member: brake034
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Help Fixing a Rotel Espressomat (why?)
seedlings
I'll let you finish laughing. Go ahead...

Finished? OK.

First of all, if you know what a Rotel Espressomat is, you've probably been hitting the espressos for quite some time. My guess is it's a late 80's model. (this picture I've already taken the pump out)
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelFront.jpg

Why rebuild it? To learn about the guts of an espresso machine. This machine was free (free with purchase of a used Rossi grinder). So, I can afford it. Plus, I don't have any money to buy a machine after acquiring aforementioned grinder.

So, what's wrong? Looking it over, and never having actually pulled an espresso from any machine, I could only guess what the buttons do, since they're pictorally coded, as opposed to being labeled in an ancient Swiss dialect. I suppose the icons are a hair better. After plugging it in (from reading troubleshooting manuals in the past, I made sure it was plugged in to the 120V AC wall recepticle). I put some water in the tank, and flipped the left switch, which has the "Target" icon. The corresponding light came on. Ahh!
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelSwitchPWR.jpg
I flipped the center switch, with a cup and saucer icon. The corresponding light came on, and the pump ran!
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelSwitchCup.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelSwitchCloud-1.jpg
No water, so I shut it off to save the pump, and went to the 'net to find out what to do before the first espresso. Prime the pump! Ahh. Now, how to do it on this machine. I looked at the manual for a cheap Saeco (since I heard they acquired Rotel) and it said to turn the machine on, then open the steam wand until water came out. Easy enough. So, flip the "target" switch - machine is on. Turn the steam knob fully counter-clockwise - and ...pump runs, but nothing happened. No water went up the tube. Here's the pump.
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Rotelpump1.jpg

Why won't the water flow when the pump runs? I took the pump out, stuck the inlet tube in some water and pointed the open end toward the sink, then tried again. Pump ran, no water came out. OK. Disassemble the pump.
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelPump2.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelPump3.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelPump4.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelPump5.jpg

Hey, taking this apart reminds me of my Wagner Power Sprayer! Anyway, I re-assembled the pump and vaseline-lubed the rings. Reinstall... and now it primes! I let a few cups of water flow out the steam wand (I had already taken the tip off the wand) hoping to flush anything else out. So, now there's steam and steaming hot water. Great! Now, for Espresso! Nope.

Whywon't water flow out the grouphead ? Well, time to disassemble the grouphead. WOW those allen screws are stuck in there!
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelHead1.jpg
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelHead2.jpg

Well, I broke one of the three screws behind the screen. That's probably bad.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/RotelHead3.jpg

A new gasket came with the machine, so after cleaning it all, I replaced the gasket and reassembled. Now, for some espresso!

...nope. The wand works, nothing comes out the grouphead.

Here's where I need some help.

On a 3 button machine ... with a "target" a "cup and saucer" and a "puffy cloud" help me push the right button or combination of buttons to get espresso.

Now, I turn the power on ("target") and the machine gets HOT. Then what? If I flip the "cup and saucer" switch, the pump comes on and runs constantly, but water doesn't come out anywhere. If I flip the "puffy cloud" button too, so that all 3 switches are on, the pump goes on-off-on-off... but no water comes out anywhere. At any time I can turn the steam knob and get steam or hot water.

Help. The machine has been gone through pretty thoroughly. I think I just don't know when to flip which switches.

Thanks,
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/06/2007 7:53 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Kaffee Bitte
that group head needs some serious cleaning. I suggest citric acid or cleancaf, etc. that may be part of the problem. You may also need to descale the tubing leading to the grouphead, possibly the boiler(thermoblock).
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
seedlings
I've actually cleaned it all. The inside of the pump and the entire grouphead look shiny new.

CHAD

EddieDove
What did you use to clean it and how much work was it. If the product was good, plug it for others!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogsp...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
seedlings

eodove wrote:
What did you use to clean it and how much work was it. If the product was good, plug it for others!

To clean, I just used Dawn concentrated diswashing liquid, scalding hot water, a toothbrush, a plastic knife, and some toothpicks. I forgot to take pics of the cleaned up pieces... if (or when) I have to take it apart again, I'll do that.

Oh, and to get some of those little screws loose, I used a touch of <gasp> WD-40 on the grouphead. THAT actually would take this crud off FAST! But, if this works, I want my espresso to LOOK like motor oil, not taste like it... so I used it in small amounts and only on the screws.

CHAD

EddieDove

seedlings wrote:
I forgot to take pics of the cleaned up pieces... if (or when) I have to take it apart again, I'll do that.

CHAD

Well ... okay ... if its too much trouble to go through for us ... sniff

s:8s:8s:8
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

seedlings
Wow, all this passive manipulation makes me really feel at home. It's like you're my extended family s:6!

I'll get pics up.

SOoooooooooooo... how 'bout my question about which buttons to push, when to wait, how long to wait, when to push different buttons... that kind of info would help me out.

CHAD

ginny
CHAD;

way cool, I love the fact the you guys take the time to post the pictures of these super
finds and rebuilds!!

thank you,

ginny

where did you get it??

dawn is fantastic in these kinds of cleaning jobs!!

s:8s:8s:8 cuz I need to.

MarkBart
Hi Chad
You had it right as far as I can see, Target is power on/off, Cup & Saucer is pump hot water, and Puffy cloud is ignore thermostat and apply massive heat for steam. You will probably need to take a few steps back and redo the stick the inlet port in water and point the pump at the sink. You need to make sure the pump moves water by itself and not just by steam pressure. I'd start there and them add parts to see if there could be a blockage you missed or the pump might not have enough guts for the job, It has to supply about 9 bar of pressure. You will probably have to chase all the passages with pipecleaners or thin wires to make sure they are open, but compressed air might work in a pinch. As far as I can tell water coming out of the steam wand is not a good indicator of pump condition since it's probably plumbed directly to the boiler and you control the amount of steam from None to Lots by turning the knob, somewhat like a manual version of the pressure and temperature safety valve on your hot water heater. It sounds like a good learning experience for you. Just be careful around electricity, steam, water, and any combination there of. Nothing makes a good cup of coffee taste better than to know how it's made and that You had a hand in making iit from Roast To Toast, Prost!
Edited by MarkBart on 12/07/2007 10:29 AM

seedlings
Thanks, MarkBart! I'll re-check the pump this weekend. I looked on-line and to replace the pump, it'd COST $60+ and this machine sure isn't worth that.

Ginny, I know you like pictures (me too!), but nestled between the pictures are some ... whatcha callit ... "words". In the "words" you'll find that the benevolent seller of my Rossi Grinder threw in this relic for free!

All in good fun!
CHAD

EddieDove
s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

seedlings
Oh, and I was WAY off. It was Palmolive.

CHAD

seedlings

MarkBart wrote:
Hi Chad
You had it right as far as I can see, Target is power on/off, Cup & Saucer is pump hot water, and Puffy cloud is ignore thermostat and apply massive heat for steam. You will probably need to take a few steps back and redo the stick the inlet port in water and point the pump at the sink. You need to make sure the pump moves water by itself and not just by steam pressure. I'd start there and them add parts to see if there could be a blockage you missed or the pump might not have enough guts for the job, It has to supply about 9 bar of pressure. You will probably have to chase all the passages with pipecleaners or thin wires to make sure they are open, but compressed air might work in a pinch. As far as I can tell water coming out of the steam wand is not a good indicator of pump condition since it's probably plumbed directly to the boiler and you control the amount of steam from None to Lots by turning the knob, somewhat like a manual version of the pressure and temperature safety valve on your hot water heater. It sounds like a good learning experience for you. Just be careful around electricity, steam, water, and any combination there of. Nothing makes a good cup of coffee taste better than to know how it's made and that You had a hand in making iit from Roast To Toast, Prost!

Well, start playing "Taps" in the background of your mind as you read this. MarkBart, you were right on.

I removed the pump and it pumped pretty good into the sink, so no problems with the pump, right? I took apart the "boiler" here to check for blockages.
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Boilerguts.jpg

And there were none. A little calcification, yes, but no blockages. So I decided to hook up only as much of the grouphead as was needed to see if any water pumped out. Here's the picture I forgot earlier, Eddie Grin
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Groupheadguts.jpg

So basically out the bottom of the "boiler" was a hole. And, yes, HOT water pumped out.

So what's wrong? The grouphead has a springloaded gasket assembly. I put that assembly back together slightly - The springloaded gasket (gently lubed with petrolium jelly) went up by the boiler and I only attached one screw halfway, just to keep a very slight pressure on the bottom of the boiler. No water.

So, I must conclude, as you predicted MarkBart, that the pump just doesn't have any UMPH left.

On the hunt now for an espresso machine,
CHAD

EddieDove
That's a shame. I will keep my eyes open and see if I find something around here that might help you out. If you want to go new (or used), look at the Gaggia Espresso / Carezza. My wife got me a brand new one last year for Christmas ... Amazon deal I think. They are entry level, but competent and I know people that use them as their travel machines too.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

EddieDove
That's a shame. I will keep my eyes open and see if I find something around here that might help you out. If you want to go new (or used), look at the Gaggia Espresso / Carezza. My wife got me a brand new one last year for Christmas ... Amazon deal I think. They are entry level, but competent and I know people that use them as their travel machines too.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

Kaffee Bitte
My heart goes out to you seedlings! May you search for espresso nirvana be reached soon, with a new addition to the family.

Don't worry with patience, you will succeed!
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Favorite? How can there be such a thing?
seedlings
Well, I returned my Cuisinart grinder to Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday. They have a tremendous return policy... one of those "no buyers remorse" kind. So I ALMOST picked up a Breville they had stickered at $250... but with my return and a coupon I could've walked out with it for about $125. I didn't. I bought a Bailetti stovetop for $25, plus my $5 off coupon and walked out with a $30 credit for next time. I'm starting to play with the grinder and the Bailetti.

Thanks, all. Currently I'm playing with the Rotel's steam wand. Microfoam is hard. At least it's still a learning tool.

CHAD

Jump to Forum: