Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,467
Newest Member: hehevt
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
gear motor for new BBQ roaster...your thoughts?
pm
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp...e=electric

Just thought I would ask some advice on whether this is a good choice to turn my new RK drum (24" x 8") I'm finally getting around to installing.

thanks in advance,
Paul

Coffeenut
Paul,

Great to see that motor is back at Surplus Center!!! Shock Excellent motor s:2

That's the same motor I've been using on my grill-roaster for over 3 yrs now. It was a very popular motor for grill roasters several years ago and then they sold out at Surplus Center. Looks like they mounted the capacitor on the motor via that metal flange and increased the cost a couple bucks vs the motor I got back in 2004. My motor came with the capacitor too but you had to mount it somewhere. You won't go wrong with that motor IMO.

Rick

pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Rick. I'm going ahead and ordering one before they disappear again--maybe I should order a back-up as well?

Do you mind if I ask you to share some thoughts/images on your set-up, if you have a moment or two. I'm pretty much just getting started on it. (Example, they have on that same page a number of coupler options ("related part and components" to the upper right). Is there one more obvious choice on these?

Gracias,

Paul
Edited by pm on 09/20/2007 9:55 AM

Coffeenut
Paul,

The details about the parts I used (including the couplers) are in my entry right here for this year's Coffee Roaster contest. There are also lots of pics of my rig in that entry.

http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/v...ead_id=559

On the couplers, I went with the Lovejoy couplers which are also available from Surplus Center.

Rick

PS: I did purchase a backup motor after these things got popular and the qty of them over at Surplus Center dwindled almost to zero. It's still sitting new in the box because the first motor is still working like a champ.

pm
Super, thanks for the link; the photos help tons.

I'm going tomorrow am to pick up a used Sunbeam Grillmaster 760 (looks a lot like the one you're using). That, along with two propane tanks. Hope they're in decent shape. The guy's moving, and only asking $40 for the lot, so I can't go too wrong with that price.

Paul

Coffeenut
The 760 is my model of Grillmaster...or should I refer to it as the "Roastmaster"? On those 2 tanks (assuming they are safe for a refill) you'll be getting replacements when you swap them for full tanks. Having two tanks is essential for a hot-swap when one tank runs dry in the middle of a roast.

The 760 will do just fine for you and offers plenty of room for the drum. You may need to close-up some of those openings as I did to cut down on wind affecting your temps.

Sounds like you are "on your way" to christening that RK Drum!

Rick

Jump to Forum: