You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,628
Newest Member: BoP
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Store green coffee in freezer to kill ants?
beanie_weenie
The missus was given about 6 gallons of raw green coffee beans in a big plastic bag for free. She put them on the floor in a corner somewhere in the kitchen. She has no experience with roasting coffee and asked me about it. I did some research and told her I'd get her the Korean Kaldi roaster (seems like one of the best roasters) so she can roast the beans.

I didn't think anything more of it, but then one day I noticed ants around the bag. I open it up and there are ants in the green coffee! I immediately take the entire bag and put it in the freezer.

In the meantime, I googled "how to store raw green coffee beans" and it seems like raw coffee beans need to breathe and also moisture encourages mold. Well, I just took them out of the freezer right before I wrote this post and put them in ziploc bags. There is definitely moisture on the beans.

My question is how do I store these raw green beans given my situation. Are the beans a failure since I put them in the freezer and the moisture will ruin everything? Or should I just keep them in ziploc bags at room temperature and open them up once a month or so to allow them to breath? Or is there some other proper way to proceed here? The only area we can store the beans has an average room temperature of about 91 degrees with humidity.

Thank you.

Additions:
I read about GrainPro bags and since this morning I've taken the beans out of the ziploc bags and placed them all in an old pillow case tied up until I can find a place to purchase the GrainPro bags. I'm still not sure if the beans are spoiled or ultimately doomed already..?

I think there are the flying weevils in our house as well that may be present in the green beans. I saw one or two land in the beans and disappear when I was moving the beans into the pillow case but I'm not sure if one or two weevils is a big cause for concern since I covered the pillow case and closed it as soon as I finished moving the beans.

The ants were the pretty small 'house ants' that are common in Hawaii. They definitely died after being in the freezer that long, I saw carcasses slightly clinging to the side of the ziploc bags when I was moving the beans. In the grand scheme of things, I think I caught this early enough to where it wasn't (IMO) a ton of ants, maybe 30-40 in a total of ~6 gallons of beans. So, shouldn't be a really big deal I don't think.

Although, a friend of mine was concerned that maybe the reason the beans were free is because they were low grade. She mentioned this after we saw some holes in a number of beans as well as some of the beans were just unsightly in appearance. I personally didn't think anything of it, because hey, it's free Kau coffee. Surely, it can't affect things that bad to throw all the beans away. Just throw away the beans one feels are unacceptable before sifting and roasting them and that should be ok.

Jump to Forum: