Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

her63
· 06/02/2020 9:10 AM
keep healthy bro, love roaster form home

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,592
Newest Member: YUGEE
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Trier for FB???
CharcoalRoaster
As I come to a close on fabrication for my new increased capacity/upgraded FB build I ran into an amazing opportunity to use the same blower/heater but with two separate roast chambers. (1) Bake-a-round glass with tri-clamp fittings for batch sizes maxed out at around 500g and (2) A keg/steel funnel RC with same fittings that will be maxed out by blower/power sources cross fingers with at least a 1kg load capacity.

With the glass RC observing roast progression will be no big deal. With the other RC I'm wondering if it's possible to implement a trier onto the chamber to visually track roast progression without having to build in a sight window.

Obviously, the use of triers on drum roaster is pretty much universal but for an FB the only drawback I can think of is if it were to disrupt the fluidbed itself.

Dumb idea? Better ideas?

greencardigan
Can you just look down into the roast chamber from the top? Using a flashlight?

CharcoalRoaster
Unfortunately, no as it will be connected to a cyclonic chaff collector.

Gullygossner
I envision something of a side wall sampler. You could plunge it into the falling stream of beans to catch a few for a sample, extract the sample to the exterior of the roast chamber for viewing, plunge back in twist to dump and then extract it out of the way until the next sample is required as to not impede the fountain of beans.

Potentially more complicated than a viewing window tough.

pisanoal
I tried to implement one on my 5lb build amd was moderately successful. It was intended more to take a cupping sample off rhe roaster to try various drop times without roasting individual 5lb batches. I played around with a design similar to what was described above. What I ran into was issues with the RC being under pressure and flinging beans out of the open section of the trier in transition of pulling it out or pushing it back in. This could be overcome for sure, but would need a sleeved and tight fitting pipe for the inserted portion. I was out fabrication budget.

I also played around with a spring loaded option where you push a plunger in, beans would blow out and be caught in a cup, release the plunger and it seals off. I had a disk on the inside that would push in to the RC to expose the opening. I had issues witb beans being caught between the sealing surfaces. There are definitely work arounds with some fabrication work and ingenuity.

I ended on a roatating design. Similar to the plunger, but the sealing disk would rotate to expose the opening to the chute instead. This worked well, and with refinement could have been easily integrated from the beginning. It has minimal infiltration into the bean mass so is not disruptive to bean flow. This would be my recommendation, and I have some thoughts on reducing the complexity of it for relatively easy implementation if interested in discussing further. Probably a little more difficult then a viewing window, but not too bad depending on machining/fabricating skills.

CharcoalRoaster
cool Pisanoal!

Glad to hear someone has tried to implement something like this and for troubleshooting it as well. Would you mind sending over your specs/pics/anything that I could look at and draw from?

My machining/fabrication skills vary on the task but I love a good challenge. I was able to cut some glass from an old glass jug for a previous iteration of an RC with some success but never had the chance to test it under pressure.

Cheers!

pisanoal

CharcoalRoaster wrote:

cool Pisanoal!

Glad to hear someone has tried to implement something like this and for troubleshooting it as well. Would you mind sending over your specs/pics/anything that I could look at and draw from?

My machining/fabrication skills vary on the task but I love a good challenge. I was able to cut some glass from an old glass jug for a previous iteration of an RC with some success but never had the chance to test it under pressure.

Cheers!

I probably have some pictures, but I think sending a drawing or two might be more helpful. I don't have the roaster anymore, it was a build for a buddy of mine.

One potential hurdle I see is that it sounds like you are trying to fit this on a cylindrical RC with a cone bottom? Is the trier going on the cylinder side wall or the cone?

Mine was on a rectangle which was considerably easier to fabricate for.

pisanoal
Here are a few sketches I came up with.

The first one is a "slide gate" that exposes the bean chute opening both for a flat side RC (top set) and cylinder (bottom). Flat is easier to implement since you have one less opening to seal. Key with the cylinder slide gate is matching the inner radius of your RC.

The second is a sleeved design where you turn the inner pipe to line up the openings. Clearances would have to be pretty tight in order for this to work, but the advantages would be that it could go on any shaped RC. The angle of attachment would be critical for making sure it didn't interrupt bean flow. This should be done with smaller diameter pipe (1/2" or smaller, to avoid bean mass movement issues.

Obviously both of these would have to be immersed in the bean mass.

Another idea that my wife sparked was a way to suck some beans out. It is in the third picture, a u-tube design. You would need a way to momentarily hook it up to the suction of your vacuum pump, and some kind of "screen" to catch the beans either to divert them from the vacuum motor and out into a collection cup, or catch them inline and then remove the screen once you stop sucking the beans up. I'm thinking some kind of flexible tube you press to an intake fitting for literally less then a second to suck a few beans up the U-tube. I'm not sure if you would need a way to seal this off as roaster air will obviously be pushed out here. I think that "path of least resistance would definitely keep beans from being pushed up the tube. A simple valve inline could eliminate the issue altogether. Also the vertical nature of the u-tube inner portion would eliminate any bean mass flow issues. Depending on your air intake design, this could be the easiest to implement in terms of there really isn't any precision machining to be done.

EDIT: Had issues getting pictures attached, they are good now.
pisanoal attached the following images:
slide_gate.jpg sleeved_rotated_design.jpg u_tube_design.jpg

Edited by pisanoal on 05/21/2020 9:42 AM

Jump to Forum: