Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/24/2020 3:52 PM
Sorry Ken, I deleted your shout by mistake. Lots of shoutbox spam attacks lately.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,674
Newest Member: thangpres
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
mild steel 500g drum
nobodys finest
hello forum,

I spend quite some time to search and browse this forum for inspiration and information. And I wan to thank every one for all the great Information about coffee roasting at homeroasters.org !

I am a total newbie, but I am already hooked to coffee roasting. And I am working on my 500g drum roaster build at the moment. After some thoughts about the drum material I decided to use mild steel for the drum, because I was able to get a pipe (168,3mm diameter, 4,5mm wall thickness) and I am able to weld and process the mild steel way easier.

So before I start with the assembling of the drum, one question popped in to my head. I would highly appreciate any comments and thoughts of all you experienced drum roaster builders.

Would you recommend to sand the steel first, than assemble (welding) the vanes and than use some oil for rustproofing? - Which oil would you recommend, so that it is not causing any problems when roasting coffee later on.

Or would you assemble and then sandblast the hole drum?
I am just a bit concerned about the size and if it would be possible to sandblast such a small pipe with all the vanes and the back of the drum attached.

cheers,
nobodys finest attached the following images:
kaffeerster_03.jpg kaffeerster_02.jpg

directtraderoasting

nobodys finest wrote:

hello forum,

I spend quite some time to search and browse this forum for inspiration and information. And I wan to thank every one for all the great Information about coffee roasting at homeroasters.org !

I am a total newbie, but I am already hooked to coffee roasting. And I am working on my 500g drum roaster build at the moment. After some thoughts about the drum material I decided to use mild steel for the drum, because I was able to get a pipe (168,3mm diameter, 4,5mm wall thickness) and I am able to weld and process the mild steel way easier.

So before I start with the assembling of the drum, one question popped in to my head. I would highly appreciate any comments and thoughts of all you experienced drum roaster builders.

Would you recommend to sand the steel first, than assemble (welding) the vanes and than use some oil for rustproofing? - Which oil would you recommend, so that it is not causing any problems when roasting coffee later on.

Or would you assemble and then sandblast the hole drum?
I am just a bit concerned about the size and if it would be possible to sandblast such a small pipe with all the vanes and the back of the drum attached.

cheers,

I'm no expert, but there are manufacturers that are still using mild steel.

For me on my 2kg I made and from what I've seen from the manufacturers out there, clean the drum and strip any oils and coatings, weld, then do a good cleaning, then roast some seasoning batches in it to clean it out (roasting darker than you'd normally roast), getting the drum pretty oily.

Then don't worry about it from there on.

That's my 2 cents fwiw.

Diedrich, San Fran, and some others aren't using stainless for their drums.

The mild steel is more uniform in heating anyways.

allenb
Ditto on directtrade's comments. Mild steel is the way to go and as he stated, clean the steel and vanes after assembling the drum, no need to sandblast and definitely don't oil it. Also true that once a few roasts have taken place, the coating achieved from those roasts protects the steel very well. The only time I've seen a drum rust is in very severe moisture environments.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: