Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,467
Newest Member: hehevt
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Made another turbo roaster......
Mbb
My brother asked me to help him put together a turbo oven roaster.....so, i did.

The catch.....years ago i contemplated using a presto big kettle fryer as base for turbo roaster....provide additional heat. So chanced $35. Its thick aluminum, sized good, and holds heat. Its tstat works to keep it limited. Set on max 400, it held 410 when i tested. Or adjust it anywhere like . Wont scorch beans, but greatly speed roast heat input to get you to where the turbos high temps finish it slower.

I thought....might have to plug kettle into another circuit.
Nope. Both ran fine together on single 15a circuit, even w 2 light bulbs too, and the small motor, and my freezer. (Probably didnt cyce) Hmmmm....do the turbo really put out 1300w then? Id have to say....maybe no.

Used an 80 rpm motor i had laying around.

Result.....with maximum air temp reached in roaster under 450F...turbo was set on only 400....16oz reached 1st crack in 10 min....which was my goal. It was a good roast . Its a much rounder, fuller BT profile judging by the dozen data points i plotted, when compared to plots i made roasting 8 oz on scto in past. Heat can soak in by conduction when first charging after preheating, and the air temp doesnt drop far after removing lid to charge....i think it dropped from 400 to 375

Ive drank 50 lbs of the coffee i roasted to test it....the roast was good as any. I did experiment long ago removing turbo shield to put more heat in....that was bad, imo.

The walls hold heat. No insulation needed.

The agitator keeps bean moving out at wall, not center
Tilted a few degrees, thicker bean mass at bottom to embed tcouple in.

Seriously, this works well

Havent made adjustable sliding door to exhaust smoke/chaff yet. An opening is needed to hear 1C...too quiet to hear it without one, at least over the bean noise.
Edited by Mbb on 02/25/2020 2:08 PM

renatoa
welcome to forum

This post is cracking in the wind without pictures Grin

Mbb

renatoa wrote:

welcome to forum

This post is cracking in the wind without pictures Grin

Thats whats wrong with people today.....no imagination

Got a pic of what its seasoning 1st roast looked like.....this was to coat metal with oil, burn off residues, get feel for temps, etc. It went to garbage. Did a second one too.....black.

Ill try to post pic later

Btw...if you need wire source for bean agitator...
Try the 3/32" steel TIG welding rods at harbor freight
....you get a sheetload for $8 with 20% off coupon , they are 3ft long, copper coated....bendable by hand and pliers, or around forms. Lifetime supply.

images2.imgbox.com/f7/53/0RloadEZ_o.jpg

images2.imgbox.com/95/bc/xfPwWCjo_o.jpg

images2.imgbox.com/2c/a7/LZzSH1uf_o.jpg
Edited by Mbb on 02/25/2020 6:10 PM

Mbb
Agitator shaft

Motor shaft drives deep socket, running in wood block bearing.

Agitator bolt drops in. Spring wind keeps it snug in socket. Yep, you can drill a hole in ss bolt . Patience is key to not burn bit.

images2.imgbox.com/1d/74/jggHHhDq_o.jpg

Takes 10 minutes to bend an agitator....permanent thermocouple will pass between upper and lower parts.

Almost anything works to agitate at 80 rpm.....

images2.imgbox.com/15/47/pnunA01V_o.jpg
Edited by Mbb on 02/25/2020 8:50 PM

Koffee Kosmo
I have used this design about 9 years ago
However in that build for a friend I used an electric frypan not a pot

Should work well but I chose the current roaster design because of chaff and ease of use issues

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Mbb

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

I have used this design about 9 years ago
However in that build for a friend I used an electric frypan not a pot

Should work well but I chose the current roaster design because of chaff and ease of use issues

KK

I've never had a chaff issue. The turbo roasters I've made always ejected the chaff.....well at least you might have to be that you got to blow it away when you're done..or vacuum it... But there's none left in the roaster.

what I was looking for is a homegrown design to get you the first crack with one pound in under 10 minutes and this can do it

What I really like about it, is it sturdy, heat to spare, and significant heat from conduction too.
(
I really expected it would need to be plugged into two breaker circuits....or plug into dryer socket and use only one leg for 120. Thats main reason i never did it years ago, figured it would be hassle. Still amazed it can run on one circuit..(my compressor thats borderline for circuit trips this garage circuit [img][/img]every time it stops..so i know it works. )

Had in my head to cut the kettle shorter.......still might , but it works as is. Time will tell.
Edited by Mbb on 02/26/2020 7:34 AM

Mbb
Short agitation clip
I like it tilted a little.
Gives a thick bean mass on one side to put probe in, turns over better, its tumbing across bottom, not just flowing in circle around outside. Keep beans on hot surface moving .

Edited by Mbb on 02/25/2020 9:10 PM

Jump to Forum: