Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/24/2020 3:52 PM
Sorry Ken, I deleted your shout by mistake. Lots of shoutbox spam attacks lately.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,670
Newest Member: HunkBulos
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Any experience with Yemen Mocha Ismaili
kwrcst
Hi all,

I have roasted this before in my SR500 and had great results but I only had 1lbs of it at the time. I managed to get 3lbs this time and want to give it a go again. I'd love to hear your experience with roast levels and cup taste at those levels. At $14/lbs, I don't want to screw this up.

DrHenley
No, but I'd like to try it. I want to try to recreate a Harrar/Mocha blend I had at a coffee shop in Taiwan.

Where did you find it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

kwrcst
when I did this last time, it had a real chocolate flavor with a slight acidity and an after taste of chocolate covered strawberries. I'm just trying to unlock it's full potential. I guess I will do small single batches at different roast levels and see how it goes

DrHenley
Mind sharing your source? :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kwrcst
Coffee bean corral.

DrHenley
Thanks! Let us know the best roast level to bring out the chocolate. I'm guessing somewhere around Full City?

kwrcst
I think I take it just to or right before 2C. I did about a 23% development - 1min post 2C and the flavor is there but way light. Like it is watered down. There isn't any strawberry in it either. I think if I take it a little longer, I will have it. I'll let you know

DrHenley
That happened on my last batch of Kenya Kirinyaga. Not sure exactly what went wrong, but the batch before that was the best ever.

I ordered some from the Coffee Bean Corral (thanks again!) and I also ordered some Queen City Harrar which I will be blending with it. So I don't need a complete flavor profile from the Mocha or acidity, I'm just balancing out the Harrar.

DrHenley
I ran a small first batch today with the Ismaili, and wow is it sweet! Ran it to about the about the beginning of 2C. 1C began at about 12 minutes and was not very distinct with long pauses between clusters of pops.

I'm sure that after resting a couple of days the flavor will be fuller, but it's fully drinkable right now, even though it tastes more like cocoa than coffee, LOL.

OK, so now I have the desired first half of the equation, now to roast some Queen City Harrar a bit lighter than that to fill out the second half of the Harrar/Mocha equation.

Mark McCornack
I used to like roasting this one years ago, when it was a little more affordable (and available).The Ismaili I’ve roasted always has a kind of overly ripe banana funk to it, but somehow, still compelling.
It is of course all a matter of personal taste, but I’d be careful not to over roast. If your a Full City ( or +) roaster, maybe try backing off a little bit and see what you think. This also benefits greatly from a couple days rest after roasting before consuming. Again, these are just my personal opinions.

Koffee Kosmo
It’s one of the nicest coffees I have had to date

Have also blended it @ 25% of this bean with Indonesian beans and it’s chocolate bliss in a cup in milk / flat white coffee

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
DrHenley
Coffee Bean Corral told me they are working very hard to source some more Ishmali, but they don't know whether or not they will be able to. However, I'm pretty happy with the Matari (other than the price)

Jump to Forum: