Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 02/11/2020 1:10 PM
The shoutbox is meant for short announcements and will disappear in time. Please create a post in the forum.

jqaman
· 02/11/2020 9:35 AM
The Behmor lol

snwcmpr
· 02/10/2020 10:25 AM
CoffeeRoastersClub
is a member.

rogguy
· 02/06/2020 7:24 AM
Searched but no can find, but does anyone on here use the roasters made by CRC (Coffee Roasters Club) in Connecticut?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 02/05/2020 2:50 PM
Thanks NetriX!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,426
Newest Member: MerryGold
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hottop Cooling Between Roasts
Tavake12
I can't find the thread, but someone was writing about how long it takes for the Hottop to cool down, making it difficult to do more than (I think) one roast per hour.

So just for the heck of it, on my last roast, right after the drop, I removed the plastic filter element from the back of the hot-top, and I removed the cover over the charge hopper, and with a mitt I unscrewed the gold knob and took off the front of the machine with the viewing window, exposing the rotating drum.

The entire character of the temperature drop changed. It looked like the temps fell off a cliff. In about 5 or 6 minutes, the Hottop was well below the recommended charge temperature, ET was 126 and BT was about 124.
The cooling process had only just stopped, and I had only just removed the beans and colandered them to remove the chaff, when it appeared the roaster was ready and willing for the next roast.

renatoa
Why is cooling technically needed ?
Why simply not chain the dump of a roast to preheat for next roast ?

snwcmpr
I know that I am not the best one to answer this.
My experience with the HT.

I only needed enough coffee that one roast provided. Thus, I never did the experimentation of doing back to back roasts to know the temperature readings.
What I mean is:
The version I had did not give exact readings of the beans or environment. It was a mix of the two. I developed my way of mentally calculating my method, and then developed a known procedure.
I never did a roast without it having been cooled down prior.

I saw it as a home roaster, not a production roaster.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: