topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
Offline
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
Offline
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,631
Newest Member: arlex
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
KKTO build questions
Alaroast

Quote

renatoa wrote:

If not high temp silicone, that tube will melt sucking hot beans.


I thought about that but they move pretty fast through there. I'll give it a try and see what happens. But you're right, those beans are very hot. Hopefully as long as I don't work too fast and allow plenty of room in tube for beans to move freely without clogging it, should be fine. They move at pretty high velocity, so much so, when I tried a few already roasted beans, some of them shattered when they hit the cooling tray. Might have to rethink that idea.
Fiorenzato Bricoletta Espresso Machine, KitchenAid Proline Espresso Machine, Obel EB Grinder, KKTO roaster
 
renatoa
Did an experiment, to merge the dump/cool phases into a single step, i.e. cooling in the roast pan itself. So I replaced the TO with a big fan, blowing air from above, and tried to exhaust the hot air from inside the oven with a normal vacuum cleaner.
The regular flexible tube of vacuum cleaner melted in couple of seconds.
 
Alaroast

Quote

Alaroast wrote:

Another question comes to mind as I am finalizing the build of my roaster. I've read through most of the threads multiple times and am still wondering about the false bottom placement. There has been mention of total roast chamber volume not exceeding a certain size. Would it be safe to say that if I am using a pasta pot setup, then I would simply place the false bottom as close to the bottom of the suspended insert as possible? I haven't measured anything yet but thinking there is only about 1" or 25 mm between bottom of pot and bottom of insert so is a false bottom even needed when using a pasta pot setup?

So before we get too far away from my question, what are the thoughts on the false bottom question above?
Fiorenzato Bricoletta Espresso Machine, KitchenAid Proline Espresso Machine, Obel EB Grinder, KKTO roaster
 
Mbb

Quote

Alaroast wrote:

Quote

renatoa wrote:

If not high temp silicone, that tube will melt sucking hot beans.


I thought about that but they move pretty fast through there. I'll give it a try and see what happens. But you're right, those beans are very hot. Hopefully as long as I don't work too fast and allow plenty of room in tube for beans to move freely without clogging it, should be fine. They move at pretty high velocity, so much so, when I tried a few already roasted beans, some of them shattered when they hit the cooling tray. Might have to rethink that idea.


Hmmm
I been doing similar for years
I use plastic bilge pump hose
Works fine
Doesnt even get hot

My beans are cool enough to stir by hand when they hit the receiver. No fragility issues either

The lid is a food cover from walmart $4
Fits into ss bowl with holes punched in bottom via nail
Shopvac provides suction

Might need cross brace inside bucket not to collapse it.

Beans are chaff free.......totally

images2.imgbox.com/96/cf/4cItYgem_o.jpg
Edited by Mbb on 02/22/2020 7:46 AM
 
renatoa
plastics... and plastics... Grin
 
mkane
and more plastic
Always learning
 
Alaroast

Quote

Mbb wrote:

Quote

Alaroast wrote:

Quote

renatoa wrote:

If not high temp silicone, that tube will melt sucking hot beans.


I thought about that but they move pretty fast through there. I'll give it a try and see what happens. But you're right, those beans are very hot. Hopefully as long as I don't work too fast and allow plenty of room in tube for beans to move freely without clogging it, should be fine. They move at pretty high velocity, so much so, when I tried a few already roasted beans, some of them shattered when they hit the cooling tray. Might have to rethink that idea.


Hmmm
I been doing similar for years
I use plastic bilge pump hose
Works fine
Doesnt even get hot

My beans are cool enough to stir by hand when they hit the receiver. No fragility issues either

The lid is a food cover from walmart $4
Fits into ss bowl with holes punched in bottom via nail
Shopvac provides suction

Might need cross brace inside bucket not to collapse it.

Beans are chaff free.......totally

images2.imgbox.com/96/cf/4cItYgem_o.jpg

So I made my maiden roast today using the clear tubing to vacuum beans from roasting chamber. Worked like a charm with no melting. Still need to tweak a few things on the roaster though.
Fiorenzato Bricoletta Espresso Machine, KitchenAid Proline Espresso Machine, Obel EB Grinder, KKTO roaster
 
Koffee Kosmo

Quote

Alaroast wrote:

Quote

Alaroast wrote:

Another question comes to mind as I am finalizing the build of my roaster. I've read through most of the threads multiple times and am still wondering about the false bottom placement. There has been mention of total roast chamber volume not exceeding a certain size. Would it be safe to say that if I am using a pasta pot setup, then I would simply place the false bottom as close to the bottom of the suspended insert as possible? I haven't measured anything yet but thinking there is only about 1" or 25 mm between bottom of pot and bottom of insert so is a false bottom even needed when using a pasta pot setup?

So before we get too far away from my question, what are the thoughts on the false bottom question above?


The false bottom is approx 10mm or 1/2” under the base of the perforated pot with insulation sandwiched in between

i.postimg.cc/XZQBhVYG/268710-D1-1-D80-4-D60-BBC7-49-AD7-EDD77-D0.jpg

i.postimg.cc/phShWq8P/4587-D433-C570-4-D86-A9-AC-8-E5041342-ECB.jpg

i.postimg.cc/S2RYbwnZ/4-C3-E472-D-891-A-45-BD-A587-5210-C047-A810.jpg

i.postimg.cc/679GY7tx/5-BDF5941-B692-4-B43-A4-EC-D9-E92-C826-A34.jpg


KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:
 
http://koffeekosmo.com.au
mkane
A picture tells a thousand words. Will any type of insulation work as long as it's flameproof? I'm going to attempt to duplicate that shaft for the agitator. Thanks
Always learning
 
Alaroast

Quote

mkane wrote:

A picture tells a thousand words. Will any type of insulation work as long as it's flameproof? I'm going to attempt to duplicate that shaft for the agitator. Thanks


I just ordered some kaowool online for insulating the false bottom. The piece I ordered was 1" thick and 12"x24" so should be perfect doubled and trimmed to fit. $17 shipped so not bad.
Fiorenzato Bricoletta Espresso Machine, KitchenAid Proline Espresso Machine, Obel EB Grinder, KKTO roaster
 
mkane
I have some leftover rockwool I used for bass traps I'll try.
Always learning
 
Koffee Kosmo

Quote

mkane wrote:

A picture tells a thousand words. Will any type of insulation work as long as it's flameproof? I'm going to attempt to duplicate that shaft for the agitator. Thanks


I personally use high temp insulation
Material used in kilns
However any insulation material that has a heat rating over the maximum heat output of the TO is acceptable

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:
 
http://koffeekosmo.com.au
mkane
There's no agitator pic's in this thread.
Always learning
 
Koffee Kosmo

Quote

mkane wrote:

There's no agitator pic's in this thread.


Plenty of photos on the main thread as it’s a step by step build
Go to my Koffee Kosmo YouTube Chanel for videos

But since you asked, here are a few different options that I have approved
Please note - this bend orientation is for anti clockwise operation

i.postimg.cc/cvXj0jHP/257-B22-D0-25-DC-48-A7-B12-B-BA513-ACEB934.jpg

i.postimg.cc/PLJ7x4vJ/298-C1357-BAD3-4241-B850-AD0-CA834-FF1-F.jpg

i.postimg.cc/34DbjxBH/964300-D5-38-A1-42-E5-B54-E-45-D70-AC3920-D.jpg

i.postimg.cc/3yqcDv2B/FE3-CD92-D-D844-4-BDB-A499-926-AA37-F152-B.jpg

Sorry about the wire in the photo but this is a side view

i.postimg.cc/SYhVW7RW/F52-ADAAE-CDC3-4400-95-DE-7-AF7244451-D3.jpg





KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:
 
http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Alaroast
I've got my false bottom cut and drilled and now waiting on the kaowool insulation to get here in a few days. It's a ceramic fiber blanket good to 2300°F. KK, in your pictures, you are using Loctite red silicone sealant. I plan on using a similar red or copper high temp silicone but was wondering about offgassing when it heats up. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but wondered if it has to be food safe.
Edited by Alaroast on 02/24/2020 7:53 PM
Fiorenzato Bricoletta Espresso Machine, KitchenAid Proline Espresso Machine, Obel EB Grinder, KKTO roaster
 
Koffee Kosmo

Quote

Alaroast wrote:

I've got my false bottom cut and drilled and now waiting on the kaowool insulation to get here in a few days. It's a ceramic fiber blanket good to 2300°F. KK, in your pictures, you are using Loctite red silicone sealant. I plan on using a similar red or copper high temp silicone but was wondering about offgassing when it heats up. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but wondered if it has to be food safe.


Any heat rated sealant that can be used with auto exhaust gas sensors is OK - but just to be certain do all your testing with heat to burn off any lingering gasses

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:
 
http://koffeekosmo.com.au
renatoa
You can use simple wool, it is rated at 5-600C, and far more safe to release fibers (and breathe them...) in the atmosphere, than mineral fibers.
 
Koffee Kosmo

Quote

renatoa wrote:

You can use simple wool, it is rated at 5-600C, and far more safe to release fibers (and breathe them...) in the atmosphere, than mineral fibers.


But the insulation is sandwiched in between sheet metal
So it’s safe

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:
 
http://koffeekosmo.com.au
renatoa
Not so familiar with KKTO build details, where is the insulation, on the bottom only ?
I don't see any space for insulation on the lateral walls...
Is the agitator shaft hole so well sealed ?
 
Koffee Kosmo

Quote

renatoa wrote:

Not so familiar with KKTO build details, where is the insulation, on the bottom only ?
I don't see any space for insulation on the lateral walls...
Is the agitator shaft hole so well sealed ?


The design was first announced in 2008
It’s best that you read the thread

https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum...rowstart=0

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:
 
http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Cyclops - my 1kg drum build Drum Roasters 9 07/09/2020 7:43 AM
Gas Fired Drum Roaster - Lets Build It Drum Roasters 46 07/08/2020 9:43 PM
2kg Drum Roaster Build Drum Roasters 13 07/08/2020 5:45 PM
Boca Boca v2 - pretty KKTO with cyclone seperator? Other Roasters 8 07/08/2020 9:27 AM
1 lb drum build Drum Roasters 47 06/18/2020 8:02 PM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion copyright © 2002 - 2020 by Nick Jones.
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3.
Designed with by NetriX