Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

NetriX
OfflineAdmin
· 01/22/2020 5:40 AM
morning Updated shoutbox. Work in progress.

SaraJohnson
· 01/17/2020 5:50 AM
Looking for a good coffee shop in Maumee, Ohio. Any recommendations?

snwcmpr
· 01/10/2020 10:18 AM
Maybe post in the Behmor section. Behmor users can see it. The SHOUTBOX post will be hidden in a few days.

jqaman
· 01/09/2020 8:51 AM
The flap on the back of my Behmor 1600 has come loose at one end. Its 15 years old. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix it? thanks...john

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 01/03/2020 2:33 AM
Jyoungs3, you should start a post about it. The shoutbox entries will scroll away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,366
Newest Member: Jonaluchris
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
KKTO insulation
Gullygossner
Just wondering what others running the kkto setup are using for insulating the exterior of the roaster? I believe fire blankets are common but I find the fiberglass material a little tricky to work with (messy to cut, stiff).

renatoa
You can use plain wool cloth, pure wool is the filling inside most kitchen gloves that aren't silicone based.
The temperature must reach 570–600°C before wool will ignite, this temperature will never happen at exterior of a TO based oven.

Gullygossner
Good call! I’ll see if I have anything wool laying around that i could repurpose. Silicone sheets are another consideration I’ve had.

Koffee Kosmo
I simply use an old cotton bath towel
Just wrap it from over the lower silicone tube and around the pots - then clip it securely with a clothes peg

When finished you can then cover the entire setup with the same towel to keep it dust free

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Gullygossner
Koffee Kosmo wrote:

I simply use an old cotton bath towel
Just wrap it from over the lower silicone tube and around the pots - then clip it securely with a clothes peg

When finished you can then cover the entire setup with the same towel to keep it dust free

KK

That’s great to hear! I was hoping someone had experimented with a cotton towel as it is something i have kicking around the house and it’s easy enough to work with.

renatoa
Cotton can ignite and burn around 215 C, when pure, which is a temperature too close to minimum 230 C that is inside oven at final of roast, so beware...
Even worse, when oily, self-ignition temperature decrease, and can happen even in the range where beans are just drying, not even browning, i.e. 120-150 C.
Guess how could become cotton oily... Grin

Koffee Kosmo
renatoa wrote:

Cotton can ignite and burn around 215 C, when pure, which is a temperature too close to minimum 230 C that is inside oven at final of roast, so beware...
Even worse, when oily, self-ignition temperature decrease, and can happen even in the range where beans are just drying, not even browning, i.e. 120-150 C.
Guess how could become cotton oily... Grin

In over 10 years of using a cotton towel
Ignition has never happened at all

But if the OP wants more surety - then something in pure wool will be just as good

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
renatoa
There are some reports about cotton clothes self igniting in hot air / tumble dryer machines / laundromats, is where I found this warn when doing my initial research, when I want to use cotton on mine for insulation.

Gullygossner
My initial reservation to cotton was based on the ignition temperature but one side is room temperature and the hot side would be in a scenario where there probably wouldn’t be enough oxygen for ignition.

I was looking for other members who had potentially used a towel and i feel confident to at least do a handful of roasts until I source some felt.

renatoa
Holy war reason: ask your wife about that pure wool scarf she loves so much... Grin

Jump to Forum: