Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

NetriX
OfflineAdmin
· 01/22/2020 5:40 AM
morning Updated shoutbox. Work in progress.

SaraJohnson
· 01/17/2020 5:50 AM
Looking for a good coffee shop in Maumee, Ohio. Any recommendations?

snwcmpr
· 01/10/2020 10:18 AM
Maybe post in the Behmor section. Behmor users can see it. The SHOUTBOX post will be hidden in a few days.

jqaman
· 01/09/2020 8:51 AM
The flap on the back of my Behmor 1600 has come loose at one end. Its 15 years old. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix it? thanks...john

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 01/03/2020 2:33 AM
Jyoungs3, you should start a post about it. The shoutbox entries will scroll away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,362
Newest Member: lambertsroast
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
first crack questions
Theresa Angeletti
Hello! I am new here- I have a question..... what on earth causes roasting your green beans not come to first crack? Old beans? Temp problems? I am flummoxed.... I have had a cpouple trials that just didnt get there.... once in a cast iron skillet and once in my Behmor.So far I have just been experimenting with my new Behmor and CoffeebeanCorral samples..... what on earth am I doing wrong? I did get a lot of chaff in the skillet one last night, and it got very nicely brown but never a crack- help!!!

BobbyS
Maybe not enough heat fast enough. I have on two occasions with my drum roaster had this happen and it was not enough heat fast enough. The beans then become baked beans.

Koffee Kosmo
Heat
Note temps are in Celsius
First crack - depending on bean type - will always come at in the range of 195 deg to 205 deg C

Time
Ideally between 9 min and 14 min
Note
14 min for the slow traditional roast method

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
renatoa
... or too much beans for the roaster capacity... or not enough agitation...
A popular rule to find an approximate load is the 1:6 rule, i.e. 100 grams of greens in 600 ml of roast chamber volume. Or 166 grams for one litre.
If you have constant 250 C degrees of (air) heat in such volume, good agitation, and FC don't occur between 8 and 12 minutes, decrease beans load next time.
Good agitation means really good agitation... most beans permanently in the air, touching walls only sporadically.

Theresa Angeletti
Thank you so much! It can be tricky for a new roaster (just 3 months). I love my roaster but it had a learning curve. I havent ventured to the manual settings yet :0)!!!! I know I will be visiting here for expert advice many times!!!

Jump to Forum: