Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
12/14/2019 4:07 AM
I read somewhere that higher elevations have faster roast time and require somewhat lower temperatures. air is thin and has less Oxygen

allenb
12/14/2019 12:44 AM
Yes, 1st off, you must use only Panama Esmeralda Geisha beans and be sure to only roast on Saturdays. Actually, this isn't completely true. Please post in all about roasters forum. Thx!

wjohndon4566
12/13/2019 10:36 AM
I’m at 9,000 feet elevation, is there any special adjustments that need to be made to roast using an SR 540 at this elevation?

snwcmpr
12/07/2019 9:29 AM
roar

snwcmpr
11/27/2019 11:44 AM
greenman

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,293
Newest Member: wjohndon4566
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Jared Brunette - 5.00
Daniel Boozer - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gas Control advise needed
kwrcst
Hi all

So I'm building a Frankenstein Drum roaster on a BBQ grill platform. I have the 3 knobs that are native to the 3 burners on the grill but I want to eliminate them and take it to 1 control.

My thought is, If I turn them all to high and remove/cover the face plate, they will stay in that position and I can put some kind of control valve and gauge in-line before the gas hits those control valves. The issue is I don't know what my options are for Propane. I've googled and all I come up with are propane tank pressure valves that show full/empty.

I would think there would be a screw type valve, like a water faucet, and then I would have a gauge that shows pressure that I would put just past the valve. This would allow me to accurately control the flow.

Any suggestions on what I need or what you all use would be appreciated. I don't want to change out the native burners as they already provide more than enough energy to roast the size batch my drum will hold.

thanks

K

baldheadracing
Try googling "needle valve parker propane" (although I don't think that the needle valve on my roaster is a Parker). You will definitely need a gauge.

Here's an example: https://www.home-...45353.html

kwrcst
Awesome link. So it looks like I need a needle valve and a mono meter for propane. Just curious, what flow rate range do you use?
Big help! Thank you

baldheadracing
I have a regulator at the tanks that drops the pressure down to 210mmAq to 230mmAq. The burners can idle at about 50mmAq, but I'm running between 120 and max. when roasting (and not soaking). However, I'm not sure how applicable those numbers would be to your situation, as I'm using this small 1kg commercial roaster: https://forum.hom...ad_id=4142

pisanoal
kwrcst wrote:

Awesome link. So it looks like I need a needle valve and a mono meter for propane. Just curious, what flow rate range do you use?
Big help! Thank you

I wrote up an explanation of the needle valve/rotameter combo from Dwyer Instruments with a link to their site. The combo was relatively inexpensive and works great. There is also some example calcs to help you figure out what flow range to get based on your desired BTU range.

If you gi that direction and need help selecting one, let me know.

https://forum.hom...ad_id=6052

Jump to Forum: