Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
You must login to post a message.

· 02/11/2020 1:10 PM
The shoutbox is meant for short announcements and will disappear in time. Please create a post in the forum.

· 02/11/2020 9:35 AM
The Behmor lol

· 02/10/2020 10:25 AM
is a member.

· 02/06/2020 7:24 AM
Searched but no can find, but does anyone on here use the roasters made by CRC (Coffee Roasters Club) in Connecticut?

· 02/05/2020 2:50 PM
Thanks NetriX!

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,426
Newest Member: MerryGold
In Memory Of Ginny

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gas Control advise needed
Hi all

So I'm building a Frankenstein Drum roaster on a BBQ grill platform. I have the 3 knobs that are native to the 3 burners on the grill but I want to eliminate them and take it to 1 control.

My thought is, If I turn them all to high and remove/cover the face plate, they will stay in that position and I can put some kind of control valve and gauge in-line before the gas hits those control valves. The issue is I don't know what my options are for Propane. I've googled and all I come up with are propane tank pressure valves that show full/empty.

I would think there would be a screw type valve, like a water faucet, and then I would have a gauge that shows pressure that I would put just past the valve. This would allow me to accurately control the flow.

Any suggestions on what I need or what you all use would be appreciated. I don't want to change out the native burners as they already provide more than enough energy to roast the size batch my drum will hold.


Try googling "needle valve parker propane" (although I don't think that the needle valve on my roaster is a Parker). You will definitely need a gauge.

Here's an example:
Awesome link. So it looks like I need a needle valve and a mono meter for propane. Just curious, what flow rate range do you use?
Big help! Thank you
I have a regulator at the tanks that drops the pressure down to 210mmAq to 230mmAq. The burners can idle at about 50mmAq, but I'm running between 120 and max. when roasting (and not soaking). However, I'm not sure how applicable those numbers would be to your situation, as I'm using this small 1kg commercial roaster:


kwrcst wrote:

Awesome link. So it looks like I need a needle valve and a mono meter for propane. Just curious, what flow rate range do you use?
Big help! Thank you

I wrote up an explanation of the needle valve/rotameter combo from Dwyer Instruments with a link to their site. The combo was relatively inexpensive and works great. There is also some example calcs to help you figure out what flow range to get based on your desired BTU range.

If you gi that direction and need help selecting one, let me know.
So I finally figured out what the burner set in my grill is. The specs show it has 3 10,000 BTU burners.

Since I am not familiar with gas flow regulating etc, can someone tell me which dwyer flow meter or parker valve I need for this? I'm just not sure how to figure out the gas flow to reach max BTU
So I just found a good deal on a 2" scale dwyer flowmeter 1-10LPM but my question is do I still need a parker valve? I have a propane tank with a regulator on it that I manually turn off and on before I start. Can I hook that directly to the flowmeter or do I need another on/off between the tank and meter?
If the particular Dwyer flow meter you will be buying is the combo with needle valve then you do not need the parker needle valve.

No need for an additional isolation valve if you will be shutting off the tank each roast. The needle valve will stop flow to kill the flame after a roast.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
That makes sense. I figured the tank shut off would work but if I want to kill the flame, I’d have to go to the tank each time. I may put an on/off valve before the flow meter just for that. Not sure I actually need a Parker that can be dialed open and closed. Maybe just a gas rated ball valve would work

I got the Dwyer flow regulator and it has a 1/8” threaded input/output. Will necking this down from the standard fitting size of a bbq grill propane line change the flow to the burners? I’m basically taking the 5/8” line, taking it into a 1/8” hole and sending it back out a 5/8” line. Will the velocity be the only change or will the amount of gas be reduced and my burners not work?

If it’s the latter, anyone got a good work around for this?
A 1/8" orifice on roughly 10psi propane can supply over 100,000 BTUs, so this shouldn't negatively impact you at all. (I'm making broad assumptions with these figures, since the shape of the "step-down" to 1/8" impacts the coefficient of flow, but still, if your setup is 30,000 BTU, you are absolutely fine to have a 1/8" orifice in the path.
You rock. I’ve been trying to think of a plan b lol
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Breville Dose Control Pro GRINDERS 23 12/04/2019 5:07 AM
Automated propane gas control? Electric and Gas Heat Sources 5 11/03/2019 4:53 PM
Preferred Control Method Fluid Bed Roaster Fluidbed Roaster 7 07/31/2019 5:06 PM
Update to my TC4 control box Dataloggers/Controllers/Rate of Rise Meters 16 06/02/2019 10:04 PM
Gas 2kg Upgrade recommendation needed WHAT SHOULD I BUY OR MAKE 8 03/06/2019 3:57 AM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion copyright © 2002 - 2020 by Nick Jones.
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3.
Designed with by NetriX