renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Drum Build -- MAYBE
CharcoalRoaster
I currently roast on a 500g capacity fluidbed roaster that I built about 5 years ago. Outside of replacing a vac blower once it has roasted reliably for me and I have really enjoyed it, especially since it was hodge-podged together without any real fabrication. I am 90% built out on another, larger capacity FB Roaster because I wanted the ability to roast more coffee without doing back to back roasts (my 500g isn't great with knocking out batches back to back). All I had to do it test the larger FB roaster and figure out ventilation then I would have been off to the races. However, while roasting two batches back to back this afternoon something dawned on me...

What does this have to do with building a drum roaster?!?!?!?!

I just bought a welder! I have also always wanted a drum roaster too! So I would really like to explore the options for fabricating a drum roaster capable of 2.2kg batches. I've got 30a 240v power supply available (anticipating previous 1kg FB roaster needs) if going electric heat source is an option at that capacity. OR I could go propane with this build.

I'm not interested in a discussion on FB vs. DRUM or "just build what will give you coffee that you like" since I already have a reliable fluidbed that I will be keeping around for espresso and small batches.

Outside of perusing the drum forums, which I haven't done extensively, anyone out there with a drum build like this have any important things to note prior to planning out the build?greenman

kwrcst
getting an affordable drum is the hard part. I have tried the stainless steel stock pot route and found them to warp and bend as you are installing the inner workings. If they get out of round at all, they dont sit flush to the face plate and you dump all of your beans. Personal experience in this.

I am using a 20lbs propane tank for my drum. They are 12' inner diameter and around 18-24" tall. once you cut the top off, it's just right. If you were to go this route, PM me and I will share how I safely got the tank to a usable condition and didn't blow myself up or have my neighbors call the gas company to report a leak

Jump to Forum: