Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
pisanoal

Total Members: 6,240
Newest Member: SturdNerd
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fluidbed Roaster project
cdrake39
Hi everyone,
I've been browsing this forum for quiet some time now and have finally decided to take the plunge and build my own roaster. I have posted regarding "fan/blower sizing" on the r/roasting subreddit, but was directed here as this forum is quite active. Here was my post:

I'm looking into building a small, benchtop coffee roaster capable of roasting batches of approximately 200 grams. It will be a fluid bed design utilizing an 1800W heat gun element paired with a 12VDC fan. Ultimately, the fan and heat source will be controlled via the TC4+ Arduino shield. Since I would like to keep the design as small as possible, I am on the lookout for a compact fan with a sufficient static pressure and airflow to loft the beans during roasting. I came across this particular fan ( https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/sanyo-denki-america-inc/9HV0612P1J001/1688-2189-ND/8285336 ) and was hoping to get some feedback on it's suitability? It has a small 60mm x 60 mm footprint, 7"H2O static pressure, and 66.4CFM flow rate.

I was informed that the fan I had selected likely would not work, and a vacuum motor/blower would be more suitable. So I am now on the hunt for a compact (ideally less than 100mm x 100mm) fan that can be used in a 250g fluid bed roaster and was hoping to find some answers via this forum. I found a Dyson DC16 handheld vacuum in a local buy and sell for $40, which may meet my criteria in terms of size, but I'm unsure about air flow...

This is my first project of this type and I am looking forward to learning from the expertise in this forum. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

CharcoalRoaster
Vac motor is definitely the way to go as it will have the necessary CFM to circulate your beans. Look on eBay as I've had luck finding really great motors that have already been excised from their vacuums for the same price range. Both of mine are bypass not flow thru types

cdrake39
Thanks for the advice! The more I read, the more I understand why people opt for vacuum motors. I guess my next question would be, would a 24V vacuum motor work? I ask for two reasons - Firstly, the TC4+ is designed for DC fans and this would make control a little easier (no need for a dimmer switch). Secondly, I am looking at the following motor (https://www.ebay....3830540125) as it is fairly compact. It comes from this vacuum -https://www.rowen...2210018532
Edited by cdrake39 on 11/06/2019 9:47 AM

JackH
Love those links....
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

cdrake39
My bad, just fixed them so they are clickable.

JackH
Thanks, it just makes it easier for everyone.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

cdrake39
So I opted for this fan (https://www.aliex...b201603_52). I read about another roaster who had great success with this particular fan, so I figured I'd go for it. I have a few other details to sort out, so I didn't mind the long shipping time. Once parts begin to arrive I'll make a post regarding progress.

renatoa
Sourced the control board too ?

cdrake39
Yep, got that as well!

pisanoal
Where did you source the control board from?

cdrake39
There are two options on the Aliexpress link - with and without the control board. Or are you referring to the TC4+ board? In that case it was sourced from here: https://www.tindi...-tc4-plus/

renatoa
Nope, motor control board.
Noticed it in the pictures, but not the option to buy.
Now I see the seller notes.

Jump to Forum: