Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
dale67

Total Members: 6,240
Newest Member: SturdNerd
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fluid Bed Roaster Build - bye bye Heat Gun and Flour Sifter
jbrux4
renatoa wrote:

Rewiring the two 110V elements from paralel to series, and connecting them to 220V will not draw more current, conversely... you can use a lower current SSR.

Thank you. Noted and put in my pocket.
R/
Jared

renatoa
Got it, there is good, was thinking you mean exhaust air.
The perfect place requirements are: least airflow possible, and slowest bean movement, for the longest contact possible.
Also, probe shape is critical. I would consider such sticker model for this purpose:
https://perfectpr...cts/tl0225

Sorry for confusing you more than helping.

jbrux4
renatoa wrote:

Got it, there is good, was thinking you mean exhaust air.
The perfect place requirements are: least airflow possible, and slowest bean movement, for the longest contact possible.
Also, probe shape is critical. I would consider such sticker model for this purpose:
https://perfectpr...cts/tl0225

Sorry for confusing you more than helping.

Wow. Didnt even know this existed. Operating temp is up to 392F. How did you overcome that limitation?
R/
Jared

renatoa
I would check elsewhere for versions using a better kapton tape.
According to manufacturer (DuPont) it could range up to +400 °C / 752 °F

jbrux4
THRU-FLOW Blower Question:

Well, I feel like a dummy.

I have the thru-flow blower in-hand now, but I am not getting how to get this thing installed. Is there a housing that goes over the motor that has a blower outlet that I could then attache a pipe to?

I think I now understand why people go with the Tangential Bypass - because it already has a blower outlet.
R/
Jared

greencardigan
Yes it will eed to be placed in some sort of housing or tube. I used PVC tube that was almost a perfect fit for my motor.

jbrux4
greencardigan wrote:

Yes it will eed to be placed in some sort of housing or tube. I used PVC tube that was almost a perfect fit for my motor.

As much as I have looked, I cant find a good example- less 3d printed custom stuff.

I am still laughing at myself. "Oh, it's gonna be easier one I see it and have it in-hand." I was wrong. I dont want to give up the design principle of heated air though, so I must find a way.
R/
Jared

greencardigan
Here's some pics from my single element roaster build. It has the motor in a PVC tube with th PVC reducer on top where the element connects to.
greencardigan attached the following images:
img_1616.jpg img_1615.jpg

jbrux4
greencardigan wrote:

Here's some pics from my single element roaster build. It has the motor in a PVC tube with th PVC reducer on top where the element connects to.

Thanks. Disappointment has faded and the idea juices are flowing now.
R/
Jared

jbrux4
Questions Regarding HONEYCOMB AIRFLOW STRAIGHTENER:

For those who have the know-how with the honeycomb airflow straightener:

1. How do you trim a square straightener to round? What tool or tools did you use?
  2. Is it best to put the straightener at the ingress point or the egress point of the heat pipe?
  3. Can this substitute a perf plate/screen at entry into the roast chamber?

My use case is the following:
  1. 3/4" thick airflow straightener: https://sep.yimg....sing-5.gif
  2. Thru-Flow blower
  3. 1.5" diameter heat pipe approximately 10-12" length
  4. 2 heating elements in heat pipe approx 4.25" length each and 1" diameter each

Edited by jbrux4 on 11/11/2019 3:43 PM
R/
Jared

jbrux4
Build Episode 1: SSR and Heatsink Assembly

*also attached in the .7z file

Disclaimer:
This is how I did it. You don’t have to do it this way. If I have done something detrimental to the safety of myself or others, please let me know.

Discussion:
I will be utilizing 3 different 110V circuits for the elements and blower, and I will have my two heating elements wired in parallel. It is better to have SSRs with heat sinks to prevent overheating and to achieve specifications as stated by the manufacturer.

Goal(s):
  1. Attach the 3 SSRs to the 3 heat sinks with silicon thermal pads

Materials & Tools:
  1. Heatsinks
  2. SSRs
  3. Silicon Thermal Pads
  4. Isopropyl Alcohol & paper towel
  5. Phillips head screwdriver
  6. Cutting surface for thermal pad
  7. Xacto Knife
*see attached Materials pic

Process:
  1. Clean the heatsink and SSR mating surfaces with the alcohol & paper towel.
  2. Place the silicon pad on the cutting surface, then place SSR on top. Use the Xacto knife to cut the outline of the SSR. Remove one side of the protective film on the thermal pad and apply to the meatal surface of the SSR. Use the Xacto knife to cut the thermal pad for the “U” shape on one end and an “X” puncture on the other end of the SRR. Remove the protective film from the bottom side and place on the heatsink being careful to line up the holes to the puncture and the “U” shape. Then, screw in the two screws to smash the SSR into the thermal pad. Repeat for the next two SSRs.
*see attached Complete pic

Links to things:
  1. Thermal Pad:https://www.amazo...&psc=1
  2. Heat Sinks: https://www.amazo...&psc=1
  3. SSR-Zero Voltage Turn-On: https://www.grain...olid-1DTF1
  4. SSR-Instantaneous Turn-On: https://www.grain...olid-1DTJ1
jbrux4 attached the following file:
e1-ssr_heatsink_assembly.7z [865.21kB / 1 Downloads]
jbrux4 attached the following images:
e1-complete-post.jpg e1-materials-post.jpg

Edited by jbrux4 on 11/11/2019 3:46 PM
R/