Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,240
Newest Member: SturdNerd
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
90% of my roasts, even light City roasts, have an underlying burnt/acrid taste. What gives?!
allenb
While I personally do not roast like the this, MANY of my commercial roasting friends have begun experimenting with a an S-Curve i.e. slowing the roast down in the early development stage and creating more thorough pressure in the drum thus developing the interior and exterior of the coffee before first crack. This may allow you to accelerate through first crack to your desirable drop temp and roast degree without the underdeveloped taste you're experiencing.

This is interesting as I just recently played around with a nice Kenya doing exactly as you describe with slowing down the beginning leg of development and allowing a fairly swift run through final phase after first crack. I expected there to be a pronounced acidity and lack of sweetness but got just the opposite, a wine-like rich acidity, full body and no lack of sweetness. Plus, complexity increased quite a bit as there were various notes that I hadn't experienced before trying this.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: