Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,240
Newest Member: SturdNerd
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Home Roaster vs Commercial Roaster
ardanni90
Hello all!

I am completely new to roasting but have loved coffee for a long time. I am looking to purchase my first roaster and my goal to to eventually move it to a small business. Right now I am looking at the Fresh Roast SR540. My question is will I be able to learn on the device and have those skills translate to a small commercial roaster?

My thought process is to write down the times when I notice the beans to from green to yellow, then first crack and so on. The once I have determined a good recipe I would move to the commercial roaster but would this recipe be easily transitioned

Thanks a lot of your advice!

Adam

renatoa
Roast yes, you could get good results... learn something useful for commercial, almost nothing, imo. Wildly different heat dynamics.
I would evaluate to start straight with a 600 grams Cormorant, if having such future plans.

ardanni90 wrote:

Hello all!

I am completely new to roasting but have loved coffee for a long time. I am looking to purchase my first roaster and my goal to to eventually move it to a small business. Right now I am looking at the Fresh Roast SR540. My question is will I be able to learn on the device and have those skills translate to a small commercial roaster?

My thought process is to write down the times when I notice the beans to from green to yellow, then first crack and so on. The once I have determined a good recipe I would move to the commercial roaster but would this recipe be easily transitioned

Thanks a lot of your advice!

Adam

I've been quite happy with my SR500 and I understand the SR540 has some short comings. Once you get dialed into your roasting method you'll be happy with the results. Let us know how it turns out if I can be of any help let me know. I roast at least 3 pounds a month on my SR500 for the last year+ .

Just like anything you 'cook', it's all about Temp....

I drilled a small hole in the Chaff collector and stuck my Redi-Check probe in it.
I generally let the machine warm up a bit to about 175 before dropping the beans in and I carefully ( !! ) tilt the chamber so the beans really move around until they move on their own.

The LOW heat setting will take you all the way to First Crack... ( around 400-410 degrees ).
MONITOR FIRST CRACK and if you see the temp falling that is a STALL and can wreck the roast...
I'll move into the MED heat setting as FC finishes and this will take me to 2C at around 450.
I let 2C go for several seconds and always move to the COOL phase if the temp gets to 455-460 tops.

I generally leave the fan setting on HIGH during the entire process.
Edited by 8675309 on 10/28/2019 3:27 PM
It's bad luck to be superstitious

renatoa
Is not easy to transcript a hot air roaster recipe into a drum recipe, times and temperatures aren't all the story...

renatoa wrote:

Is not easy to transcript a hot air roaster recipe into a drum recipe, times and temperatures aren't all the story...

I would imagine the variables involved in drum roasting would be pretty sophisticated, however once you understand the general principles ( ie: getting consistent roasts out of hot-air roaster ) then you would have some basic understanding of the roasting process. I would be totally freaked dropping 20 pounds or more of beans into a big drum...

There are lots ( tons ) of pro-roasters in my area, I should go to work for one of them part-time just to pick up tips.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

renatoa
Or continue the hot air path, there are 5-10 kg fluid bed machines available...

San Franciscan Roaster Co
Hey!

Just chiming in here...

How's the process going building new recipes, etc? I agree with Renatoa on transferring recipes from fluid bed to drum roaster, however the way that you're going about the education process is right on. Manually tracking sight, smell is a great way to understand different stages of roasting, particularly in sugar caramelization. Let me know if there is any questions you have on drum roasters and profile building, love to support your coffee journey!

Thanks and stay caffeinated!

Jump to Forum: