Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
09/18/2019 4:09 AM
JavaBob ... You will get more response if you post a question on the forum rather than the shoutbox.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,139
Newest Member: MonkeyNMiddle
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Temperature tracking
skilletlicker
    About to start my fifth roast on new 1600AB. Plan to record temperatures every 60 seconds. Which measurement is more helpful, exhaust temp or chamber wall temp?

Edit: Just finished. Used exhaust temps but forgot to start the timer on phone then lost track of the app but made progress anyway I think.

1. Full power to first crack at about 7:30 I think.
    2. Pressed C
    3. P3 - 50% power
    4. ++ (Pressed + twice adding 30 seconds I think.
    5. With 1 minute left Pressed cool and opened door.

All previous roasts were darker than this one. Judging by color, I think I overshot Full City. Might it be FC+? Although it looks darker in the picture, I'd say the actual color averages about halfway between milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
    Beginning weight was 116 grams. Ending weight 96 grams. 17% loss. No frickin' idea if that's good, bad, or indifferent.
    Any advice or comments will be welcomed as I'm just beginning to figure this stuff out. BBQ grill
    i.imgur.com/QeRHWvv.jpg
    i.imgur.com/voU7bFr.jpg
    Edited by skilletlicker on 09/07/2019 7:08 AM

BenKeith
    They definitely look darker than I like, more toward the French roast going by the pics.
    17% is also getting a little higher than I car for. Usually 13 - 15% is where I'm at, that depends on the beans an what I roasting for.
    I know nothing about your roaster but here's where I'm usually at.
    Watch your bean color. They should be very pale, as close to white at they are going to get in about three minutes, that's usually about 300 degrees (these temp are based on my air roaster)
    In four minutes I like to see the getting a dark yellow, that's usually around 320 degree
    In five minutes, I like to see the bean getting a light toast or slight cinnamon color. 340
    From here it can get very subjective but south American coffees, I like the have a rolling first crack (this is when getting numbers of cracks and not the very first bean or two around the 9 minute mark and first crack ending around 11 minutes, This is the point I'm going into cool down, which takes about 2 1/2 minutes to get them down to 115f degrees If I'm doing espresso roast, I take them to just before second crack, or if no temp to monitor, I stop as soon as I hear the first snap or two of the second crack.

There are many ways to roast a bean, this is just my way out of those many ways.
    It boils down to what they taste like when you brew them, and if there are flaws or taste you don't like, you make changes where they need to be to correct those flaws.
    Not sure how fast your roaster can heat the beans but mine can hit first crack in just a few minutes it started off at max. Pushing them too hard, too early will cause uneven roast and you will lots black spots on the beans and tips and the smaller bean will be black also. When you see this scorched spots and beans, you need to slow the draying phase down some.

Jump to Forum: