Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
09/18/2019 4:09 AM
JavaBob ... You will get more response if you post a question on the forum rather than the shoutbox.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,137
Newest Member: AsterK
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from North Delaware
BrewBoy
Hello All,

I am originally a home brewer (beer) who was looking into how to make a great coffee stout. Quickly learned that fresh roasted beans was a key ingredient to making a good stout. As a big DIYer, I naturally became interested in home roasting, so here I am! Entering the community wide eyed, had no idea the coffee roasting world was so diverse! Looking to learn a lot, thank you all for your contributions to the community thus far.

- Sean

allenb
Sean, Welcome to HRO! Glad to have you on board. A lot of similar areas of engineering encountered with the two. Applying controlled heat in various quantities, times and methods and both require a lot of disciplined, careful consideration as to how to arrive at the end result in order to achieve that elusive gold star 1st tier quality in the cup or mug.

Take a look around our place and get some ideas as to what kind of roaster you want to tackle. Most of the types of roasters you'll find our members have built will produce excellent coffee with the right touch on the levers and knobs.

Have Fun! welcome to forum
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

snwcmpr
Welcome.
Next:
Baking your own sourdough bread.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
An open-crumbilicious like this ?
Grin
renatoa attached the following image:
66801603_2479879328902470_1249700599688069120_n_1.jpg

allenb
Alright Ren, now you know you're going to have to provide the recipe for this since you've got everyone's attention. Makes me want to visit the local bakery.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
It's a classic 1-2-3, where 1 is 120 grams of prefermented sourdough, 2 is 240 grams of water, and 3 is 360=3x120g grams of different flour you have at home: first is a 650, aka generic bread flour, the second is a wholegrain flour, and the third is you favourite strong flour, in my case a local flour coded T80, from a rural true stone mill machine. Sometime I am replacing one of the thirds with spelt.
2% salt, about 8 grams.
45 minute autolize, knead, 3 hours bulk with folds every 45 minutes, shape, 3-6 hours proof at fridge, score and oven, the typical routine.

allenb
Thanks for the recipe! This sounds like it should be an amazingly good bread.

Jump to Forum: