Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
12/14/2019 4:07 AM
I read somewhere that higher elevations have faster roast time and require somewhat lower temperatures. air is thin and has less Oxygen

allenb
12/14/2019 12:44 AM
Yes, 1st off, you must use only Panama Esmeralda Geisha beans and be sure to only roast on Saturdays. Actually, this isn't completely true. Please post in all about roasters forum. Thx!

wjohndon4566
12/13/2019 10:36 AM
I’m at 9,000 feet elevation, is there any special adjustments that need to be made to roast using an SR 540 at this elevation?

snwcmpr
12/07/2019 9:29 AM
roar

snwcmpr
11/27/2019 11:44 AM
greenman

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,296
Newest Member: jpokorski
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Jared Brunette - 5.00
Daniel Boozer - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Unavoidable Scorching with Hottop KN-8828-B2
Vbrock9089
Hey all! I recently purchased a used Hottop. I have roasted a Nicaraguan on it more than 20 times and cannot seem to avoid, what appears to be, scorching and an uneven roast. I have fiddled with nearly every variable that I can think of, with no success. I have charged anywhere between 220* and 380*. I have kept the fan at full blast throughout the entire roast and tried no fan. I have shut the heating element off for the first 30 - 60 seconds of the roast. I have tried a charge weight of 175g and 225g. I have both lengthened and shortened the roast, between a range of 9:00 and 16:00 minutes. I even took the whole machine apart, gave it a DEEP clean, and checked to make sure the heating element wasn't too close to the drum. Most recently, I removed the back filter 1/4 to fiddle with the air-flow. Every single roast, regardless of these alterations, has dropped like what you see in the picture. It doesn't drink well, either... Thoughts?

Coffee: https://www.sweetmarias.com/nicaragua-b ... -6127.html
Vbrock9089 attached the following image:
unnamed_2.jpg

renatoa
What about rotating speed, does it looks right ?

Vbrock9089
renatoa wrote:

What about rotating speed, does it looks right ?

I resolved the problem, and it wasn't the rotating speed, but I did notice a slight issue. At a single spot in it's rotation, the drum hesitates a little bit. It occasionally sounds like metal scratching metal when it gets to the lag point. Gonna investigate once the roaster cools down.

I got my hands on a thermocouple today. This allowed me to roast with an accurate temerature gauge. Who knew that the ET probe in an old hottop could be so far off. Turns out that I wasn't controlling 1st well, at all. My guess is that I was getting to first around 390* and getting up to 420 in 1:45 (my typical development time).

renatoa
Actually, absolute temperatures are not a must, the differential is what matters.
380/410 or 400/430 would be equally useful to me, if consistent from roast to roast.

snwcmpr
The HT uses a different logic to the temp. Something like a temp somewhere between BT and ET.
I put a probe in mine. I no longer have the HT.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: