Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Unavoidable Scorching with Hottop KN-8828-B2
Vbrock9089
Hey all! I recently purchased a used Hottop. I have roasted a Nicaraguan on it more than 20 times and cannot seem to avoid, what appears to be, scorching and an uneven roast. I have fiddled with nearly every variable that I can think of, with no success. I have charged anywhere between 220* and 380*. I have kept the fan at full blast throughout the entire roast and tried no fan. I have shut the heating element off for the first 30 - 60 seconds of the roast. I have tried a charge weight of 175g and 225g. I have both lengthened and shortened the roast, between a range of 9:00 and 16:00 minutes. I even took the whole machine apart, gave it a DEEP clean, and checked to make sure the heating element wasn't too close to the drum. Most recently, I removed the back filter 1/4 to fiddle with the air-flow. Every single roast, regardless of these alterations, has dropped like what you see in the picture. It doesn't drink well, either... Thoughts?

Coffee: https://www.sweetmarias.com/nicaragua-b ... -6127.html
Vbrock9089 attached the following image:
unnamed_2.jpg

renatoa
What about rotating speed, does it looks right ?

Vbrock9089
renatoa wrote:

What about rotating speed, does it looks right ?

I resolved the problem, and it wasn't the rotating speed, but I did notice a slight issue. At a single spot in it's rotation, the drum hesitates a little bit. It occasionally sounds like metal scratching metal when it gets to the lag point. Gonna investigate once the roaster cools down.

I got my hands on a thermocouple today. This allowed me to roast with an accurate temerature gauge. Who knew that the ET probe in an old hottop could be so far off. Turns out that I wasn't controlling 1st well, at all. My guess is that I was getting to first around 390* and getting up to 420 in 1:45 (my typical development time).

renatoa
Actually, absolute temperatures are not a must, the differential is what matters.
380/410 or 400/430 would be equally useful to me, if consistent from roast to roast.

snwcmpr
The HT uses a different logic to the temp. Something like a temp somewhere between BT and ET.
I put a probe in mine. I no longer have the HT.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: