Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
12/14/2019 4:07 AM
I read somewhere that higher elevations have faster roast time and require somewhat lower temperatures. air is thin and has less Oxygen

allenb
12/14/2019 12:44 AM
Yes, 1st off, you must use only Panama Esmeralda Geisha beans and be sure to only roast on Saturdays. Actually, this isn't completely true. Please post in all about roasters forum. Thx!

wjohndon4566
12/13/2019 10:36 AM
I’m at 9,000 feet elevation, is there any special adjustments that need to be made to roast using an SR 540 at this elevation?

snwcmpr
12/07/2019 9:29 AM
roar

snwcmpr
11/27/2019 11:44 AM
greenman

Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,296
Newest Member: jpokorski
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Jared Brunette - 5.00
Daniel Boozer - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ship times from vendors?
kwrcst
So I have been paying attention to this over the last several months just because I'm a data geek. I live in Missouri, so it's pretty much the middle of the country and I figure ship times would be about average from all 4 corners etc. When I order from SM, it takes 2-4 days, usually 3 days for my order to process and then start the shipping process. UPS ground takes 3-4 days to deliver. So on average, it's 7-ish days from when I click purchase till I have beans on my door.

I ordered from Burmans and it went rather quickly. They ship from Wisconsin but use the USPS. This order was processed and shipped the next day and took 3 days by mail; So 4 days in total

I have ordered from others over the last year or so and it seems Coffee Bean Corral may have the fastest process/shipping times. I receive my package in 2-3 days from when I click purchase. It may be because they ship out of Mississippi and it is much closer than California but generally they processing to ship time is less than 24 hours. If I order by 2pm, it seems to go out the door that day.

This is by no means intended to be a rant. I just thought I would show my experience with order to door times and see if others notice the same time frames. I also understand that shipping transit times vary by location and method used. I really wanted to focus on the time it takes to process and get to the carrier.

Mike_Mathis
Thanks for your post. As a "new to roasting" avid coffee drinker, I will check this out. I just placed my first green coffee bean order with Sweet Marias but living just North of Memphis, I will give Coffee Bean Corral a try when I need to reorder.

snwcmpr
I have always considered the quality of the coffee bean as much more important than the shipping time.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

kwrcst
snwcmpr wrote:

I have always considered the quality of the coffee bean as much more important than the shipping time.

I agree but I honestly haven't seen a dramatic difference in bean quality from any of the 3-4 vendors I order through. The drastic difference I see is the packaging from a couple of the smaller players but the beans are very similar

MPSAN
Happy Mug is good and rather fast.
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

Evan Gilman
Hello all,

From what I understand, UPS has specific pickup days contracted with their customers. So, say you put in an order on a Monday. They might not pick up until Wednesday, or if it's a bigger account, they pick up on Tuesdays and Fridays. That could account for some of the longer shipment times with UPS. I know that's the case for smaller packages from us at Royal Coffee.

USPS has the advantage of picking up and dropping off every day but Sunday. Smaller players might even be able to just drop off at a USPS facility. Unfortunately when you ship a good deal of stuff, it just doesn't make sense to use USPS anymore!
Evan Gilman
Creative Director
Royal Coffee, Inc.

https://royalcoffee.com/
BenKeith
I don't order large amounts at the time, so I look for who can ship a 12 pound flat rate box the cheapest and in reasonable time.
For bean quality, I tend to lean toward SM. but that's based on past history with them. I have ordered from Burmans the last couple of times because when it's all totaled out, they were the cheapest, and I've had no complaints with the beans I've gotten from them. Whether I get them in three days or five days make no difference.

JackH
Evan Gilman wrote:

Unfortunately when you ship a good deal of stuff, it just doesn't make sense to use USPS anymore!

Why is this?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

snwcmpr
I get coffee beans, and I also get walnuts USPS Priority. Never an issue.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Evan Gilman
JackH wrote:

Evan Gilman wrote:

Unfortunately when you ship a good deal of stuff, it just doesn't make sense to use USPS anymore!

Why is this?

So, it seems that USPS's sweet spot for shipping is 5lbs and under, while UPS's specialty is 5lbs and over. Once you get to both larger amount of shipments, and larger quantities per shipment, UPS begins to be more attractive than USPS.

For those doing large quantities per shipment but smaller amounts of shipments, USPS may still make sense. That's mostly because UPS becomes more attractive economically when you're dealing with larger economies of scale - you can even negotiate rates dependent on volume with UPS (if you're a good negotiator)! I'm not sure if individuals or businesses can negotiate rates with USPS..
Evan Gilman
Creative Director
Royal Coffee, Inc.

https://royalcoffee.com/
JackH
More of a concern for large companies. Individual orders should be fine with USPS or UPS.

I have been using Happy Mug here in the northeast. They usually ship priority flat rate and I have had no problems with them.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

I order by the pound, 2-3 varieties at a time from Coffee Bean Corral in Mississippi. I live in Arizona and choose the 2-day shipping option which is a negligible price increase and last shipment came the next day. The service is excellent and the product is good.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

Jump to Forum: