Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe Disappointment
gsherman1
Hi all,

I decided to graduate from a FreshRoast SR500 to a Gene Cafe and frankly, I'm disappointed. I have read elsewhere about others having similar problems to mine:
1. Inconsistent roast
2. Flat taste

I will add to these:
3. No advantage in practical capacity or roast time to SR500 - which was my reason for buying the Gene Cafe.

I've had the roaster for about 3 months and have roasted many different varieties of Ethiopian and other African beans. In no case have I been able to roast to the stated capacity (300g) without significant smoking and uneven roasting. I dialed back to 200g per batch, roasting for 11 min at 462F, then cooling, clean chaff chamber, then re-roast for 8-9 min at 462F. This seems to work pretty well for evenness and smoke control, but the tastes are still pretty flat. Not to mention a total roast time of 25-30 min per 200g. Crazy long. I am going for FC+ as I prefer darker roasts typically.

I have tried pre-heating (but candidly, without scientific precision) - no real change.

Any suggestions?

renatoa
Welcome !

re-roast after cooling is an heresy, no wonder you get carton taste... Grin

Are you preheating the glass ? Is this time included in the above minutes?

I would ask manufacturer for service, sounds as not enough heat... played some months with an unit I moded for TC4, and succeeded to bring beans into FC in 6 minutes when preheating at 200C, charge 200 grams, then set the dial to 250C.
Edited by renatoa on 07/20/2019 6:52 PM

gsherman1
Hi Renatoa,

Thanks for the input. I'm an admitted newbie, but only resorted to re-heating so as to avoid uncontrollable smoking. I had been successful with running a full roast (good flavor) without inordinate smoking if I keep the charge to 150g or less, but this defeats the primary purpose of upgrading from SR500 to GC...roast capacity.

I don't think that heat output is the problem (although I could be mistaken). If anything I would say air throughput is the issue, especially when chaff builds up in the roast chamber and does not pass readily through the screen into the chaff collector. This seems to be the tendency when I roast 200g or more, not so at 150g or less. Thoughts?

What do you mean by "played some months with an unit I moded for TC"?

gsherman1
Renatoa - when you said TC, did you mean FC? I'm not familiar with TC...

renatoa
TC4, sorry, typo...
TC4 is a roast controller.

Are you roasting natural processing coffee ? This is known for excessive chaff.
No issues in my tests using normal washed coffees. Nor the smoke you are talking...
To avoid chaff build Gene features inside the cylinder, at exit side, a metalic part, like a free rotating door, with a sharp blade on a side, that tumbles every turn, with a specific, annoying Grin noise. Do you have this piece in your unit ?
His role is important, to cut the big chaff flakes into small parts, easier to evacuate by the airflow, resulting less or no build at all.

gsherman1
renatoa wrote:

TC4, sorry, typo...
TC4 is a roast controller. Thanks! I was certainly puzzled

Are you roasting natural processing coffee ? This is known for excessive chaff. I am roasting natural and washed - as you say, fewer issues with washed (but not zero). Serious problems with natural
No issues in my tests using normal washed coffees. Nor the smoke you are talking...
To avoid chaff build Gene features inside the cylinder, at exit side, a metalic part, like a free rotating door, with a sharp blade on a side, that tumbles every turn, with a specific, annoying Grin noise. Do you have this piece in your unit ?
His role is important, to cut the big chaff flakes into small parts, easier to evacuate by the airflow, resulting less or no build at all.
I do have that part in my unit - not sure that it is effective enough though. I understand the concept behind it.

renatoa
What about preheating, what is your routine ?

I think the SR500 does a good job once you understand how each setting ( Low/Med/High ) behave. I did a DIY Job on mine and inserted a temp probe attached to my Redi-Check and learned some very interesting info resulting in much better and very consistent roasts.

I get my beans from CoffeeBeanCorral... Guats are good as well as Columbian and El Salvador.

1. On Low...Let the machine warm up for 10-15 seconds before adding beans
2. Use a high-flow setting and gently (carefully) hold the chaff collector and tip it from side to side allowing the beans to really move around in the beginning. I usually do this until they flow freely on their own.
3. The Low Heat setting will take you all the way to FC. Let it happen.
4. On the onset of FC (outliers) I move up to Medium and wait for FC to complete.
5. On the onset of 2C (outliers) I move up to High and let 2C occur until I have a consistent 2C all around, ( 10-15 seconds worth ) then hit cool.
6. After it cools I remove immediately and dump beans on a cookie sheet and sometimes slip them into the fridge to cool down.
7. Bagging and removing the air with 1-way valve, squeezing every few hours I let the beans set-up at least 1 day - then grind and enjoy.
8. *** increase the time often so it doesn't go into auto-cool ***

After tons of routines I find this one works very well.

According to my temp controls 1C occurs generally around 415 and 2C around 450-455.

Try this and let me know if your results are better.

Look at the images only ( forget the text ) on this post regarding the Mod:
https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5889
It's bad luck to be superstitious

Jump to Forum: