Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,245
Newest Member: infinitystone
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Preferred Acquisition of a Fluid Bed Roaster
DIY kit including all required parts less than $300 DIY kit including all required parts less than $300 14%[2 Votes]
DIY kit including all required parts less than $400 DIY kit including all required parts less than $400 0%[0 Votes]
DIY kit including all required parts less than $500 DIY kit including all required parts less than $500 14%[2 Votes]
DIY kit including all required parts more than $600 DIY kit including all required parts more than $600 29%[4 Votes]
Custom built roaster less than $300 Custom built roaster less than $300 14%[2 Votes]
Custom built roaster less than $400 Custom built roaster less than $400 0%[0 Votes]
Custom built roaster less than $500 Custom built roaster less than $500 14%[2 Votes]
Custom built roaster more than $600 Custom built roaster more than $600 14%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 14
 Print Thread
Preferred Acquisition of a Fluid Bed Roaster
CK
The third in a series of polls looking for long term feedback on what a typical home roaster would prefer for a hobbyist fluid bed roasting machine.

(Lower dollar values represent less quality and features on a machine, and higher values represent more quality and features.)

renatoa
What is the difference between "DIY kit including all required parts" and "Custom built " ?

Are you sure that "quality and features" could/should double the value of a given machine ?
Asking because I am in the process of releasing a commercial roaster, and manufacturing price simply comes from design, I can't imagine atm any improvement or feature I can add that increase costs by $100, and argue to a potential buyer that this change worth the difference.

Conversely, the selling price range is huge compared with the manufacturing cost, depending on a lot of factors... you know Grin

Not the last, why fluid bed? Are we sure this would be the best choice for a home roaster, either retail or home built ?
Just a thought, no need to answer, I think this question deserve a thread by itself. Grin

CK
renatoa wrote:

What is the difference between "DIY kit including all required parts" and "Custom built "?

The idea for these options is to feel out how many of us roasters would prefer to continue tinkering or model building (because it's fun) versus having a preassembled machine that is plug and play.

A DIY kit, as far as I know, would avoid legal issues related to not having certifications like a manufactured unit would need... correct me if I'm wrong. The one assembling the unit would take on the responsibility.

"Custom built" means hand built one at a time when an order comes in... low capital cost, low workload (based on limiting orders per week for example). I'm not sure about the required safety certifications for a unit in this category, but the producer would most likely have full responsibility. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

This poll is just basic information sourcing for any of us who are interested in the market we are in.

renatoa
Regarding the second section... the most popular roaster I know matching this definition is Huky: built one at a time, based on individual order placed in a (long) waiting list, etc.
Wondering what certifications has attached to the invoice... surely not enough for our picky sanitary inspectors, that ask even for stainless steel papers, to check if food grade. I mean if used as a production roaster.

Jump to Forum: