Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,202
Newest Member: Brad1969
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Another electric 1kg roaster
danst
Yes, there is a difference , but I know, I have made improvements, not only larger roaster.
The passive preheating tunnel is good for better energy effectivity, all parts with problematic maintance are overworked, it will be working better, some parts are better designed (I have avoided some earlier mistakes).
I have slowly practice with them, the roaster can without problems make 1kg batches very fast - FC can be in 8min.

But this is now history again. I must learn new configuration of this roaster. The new 6mm (7mm was not at disposal) front plate and greater door is from now in action. The photo shows the old bent proofed BT probe and 2 short for ET and MET.
I think for in-drum temperature measurement was 12mm probe too much influenced with front plate, I changed it with 30mm one. For MET, I think, the short probe can better project thermal status of the whole roaster. And this is needful condition for batch roasting, especially with electric heating.
And I can be wrong, of course.
danst attached the following images:
a2.jpg a1.jpg

1000g Ugly roaster, "saturated" Bezzera BZ09, Fiorenzato Doge 63, Mazzer Jolly(Mestre), Handground, T. Moccamaster, Aeropress.

Erichimedes
Danst, your roaster looks fantastic!

I am about to build a 1kg drum roaster, and would like to use electric heating if possible.
You mentioned having about 4000w of electric heating. I'm curious how much of that wattage you use on a 1kg roast? I know you also preheat your incoming air, which I think is very smart. I'm wondering if I can get by with 5kw of heating and no preheating of the incoming air.

danst
Some roasters use 2.5kW /1kg beans. They have thick front plate and drums mostly perforated. Others have 4.5-6 kW/1-1.5 kg and the same built fashion as gas roasters with solid drum.
My has 3.8kW (as I used spare heatings from earlier) . Now with 6mm f.plate is the behaviour as I presupposed.
(Still I have an idea to try adding more mass, simply what happens by it)
The use of power corresponds to preheating level. 80% - 10% during the roast mostly.
I think, we are at one, the roaster is not only the heating. All parts relates together.
5kW / 1kg is fine.
1000g Ugly roaster, "saturated" Bezzera BZ09, Fiorenzato Doge 63, Mazzer Jolly(Mestre), Handground, T. Moccamaster, Aeropress.

danst
The new slow 20 RPM motor with high torque is in action. Now it´s safe to try the bean temp with the hand.

It was a pity to throw out the old 4mm front plate. I cut it and added about 15% mass for heat storage.

Now is the roaster completed and ugly again.

The tehnical behaviour is very good and the result is up to operator. And that is how it should be.
danst attached the following images:
aa1_3.jpg aa2_3.jpg ab1.jpg b16.jpg b1_2.jpg b2_2.jpg b4_1.jpg

Edited by danst on 10/03/2019 2:58 AM

Jump to Forum: