Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,969
Newest Member: stratocasterman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Builder
beanchucker
Hi all,

Been (bean? :)) roasting half-lb. batches on a Behmor Plus since they came out some years ago. Kind of outgrown it. I use it in an unheated garage for smoke/chaff reasons. I don't understand how you could use one of these indoors - maybe with a good rangehood. Works OK and makes passable coffee. I've long since ditched the chaff tray and cool with a powerful 120mm 120VAC fan that I sit on the open door at an angle. It gets to near freezing (I know, not that impressive to many of you) and this really puts a damper on the heating capabilities of the bm. I preheat to 327degF. I also think that IR heating isn't optimal for coffee roasting, and the BM has pretty lousy manual controls. I've burnt out the reburner and operated without it for well over a year. Recently tore the whole thing apart for a good cleaning and to fix the reburner. Doesn't make that much difference actually.

Recently I bought a few packs of fresh roasts from local, reputable roasters. They are better than mine. I need to do better. I get beans exclusively from s marias. My roasts just don't have the aromatic whiff when opening the airscape containers I store them in. I feel like I've tried so many different profiles (all manual) and still get subpar results.

I'm about 80% done with an air roaster build. I'll do a more thorough posting in the appropriate forum in a bit. Will be 330w-ish (240V) with an ametek windjammer bypass blower. Will have control for both heater and blower. No plans for computer control as I don't understand programming (just a smidge of R) and the whole pi/arduino thing is a little intimidating. Maybe will use a computer for logging, but probably not at first. 120mm of boro tube (750mm long) 5mm wall thickness. Have the electronics wired in a box but need to build a base of mdf to house the blower and support the tube/tower. Pipes/tubes are of the sanitary/triclamp type. Bean hopper is a 4-2'' bowl reducer. Hope it works. Perf is either coarse 6mm holes or superfine 0.033'' holes. I understand these are on either side of optimal and I'm guessing I won't be sticking with these sizes, but will see how they loft to start.

Learned a lot from this forum and hb.

Cheers!

JitterzZ
I like the bowl reducer idea. I hope it works out nice. Thank you for the tip. Good luck with your build.good post

renatoa
Welcome !

Mastech MS6514, $50 from China, is the simplest way to measure and log in Artisan two temperatures without any soldering or programming, nothing else than plugging an USB and installing a driver.

The hard part, for any gear, is to understand probe placement and find the optimal locations for reliable temperatures.

Jump to Forum: