Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Greetings from Jerusalem plus queries
Argaman
Wow -- that's great! I just naively used the cap that "China" sent with the motor. Never dawned on me that it might not have the right capacitance.
So you think that the 50KTYZ should also take 0.33 uF? If this is the whole issue -- well, the biggest expense in the fix will be finding parking downtown.
Muchos gracias!

Argaman
Actually, if I'm interpreting the "China" photos correctly, the one's I can make out are showing a 0.15 uF cap.

renatoa
10 uF are for 24V versions of this motor.
0.15 sounds more reasonable.

allenb
Argaman wrote:

allenb, thanks for your queries -- I'm by no means confident that I know what I'm doing here.

1. The cap does have "NP" printed on it -- that means "non-polarized," right?
2. The cap says 10 microF on it.
3. The feed is 220V and I think it's what you're calling single phase. The live line goes to the inputs, the outputs go to the neutral.
4. Have not tested the cap -- not even sure what I'd need to do.
5. I've attached a sketch of how it's wired. When both 1 and 2 are connected as in the drawing, the motor simply shakes. When I disconnect 2, feeding power only through the capacitor and only to one lead, the motor turns reliably, but seems to lack all but the most minimal torque.

Any thoughts?

If your regular wall outlets are 220 then yes, it will be single phase (1 hot, 1 neutral).
NP does stand for non-polarized. Not sure if going as big as 10 mf will have any negative outcome or not but would be good to try the smaller recommended cap.
Sketch didn't come through. See if you can attach the sketch but be sure to follow the correct steps so it stays intact. (not too big, don't preview reply before sending etc...)
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Argaman
Another attempt with the circuit sketch
Argaman attached the following image:
motor_wiring.png

Edited by allenb on 09/21/2019 10:12 AM

renatoa
If extension is jpeg, would not pass... already rant about this issue Grin

JackH
Testing - used screen capture with snipping tool. Do not use the preview changes or any preview selection.

I can add the archaic .jpeg extension if necessary.
JackH attached the following images:
capture2_1.png capture1.png

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa
Not so archaic in Linux, or other OSes that not limit extension to 3 chars.

allenb
Josh, I took the image you emailed me and did a snippit of it and attached to your post with no problem so not sure what is not working. Did you try doing just a snippit to see if that will work?

The way you have it wired is not per recommendations obviously but not sure why hooking it up correctly isn't working.

Can you send me another sketch showing how you wired it when it was per instructions and didn't work? If trying to attach a snippit doesn't work. I can delete the post if it fails to attach.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
Are we talking about a 50KTYZ, right ?
The following images should tell you how to connect:

https://www.chanc...am110v.jpg
https://www.dhres...-10rpm.jpg
https://i.pinimg....9fd320.jpg

Argaman
Thanks for the wiring pics, folks, but it turns out that the real problem was the capacitor.

I popped into town this morning and got the right value -- 0.15 uF, in place of the 10 uF cap that was shipped with the motor -- and it makes all the difference. Wired properly with the right capacitor, the motor did a nice job of spinning not only the empty drum but also with 100g of test beans -- it can probably handle a fair bit more. I could even get the motor to reverse directions depending on the wiring (as promised by manufacturer).

What a relief!!! I was really feeling frustrated and baffled. Thanks especially to allenb and renatoa for catching the cap problem.

Now I want to review the mechanics, since what was usable and stable at 3 rpm is not good enough for 50 rpm: balance, friction, etc. Maybe I can add back a vane or two for additional bean agitation.

After months of feeling completely stuck, you've gotten me back in business. Many thanks again!

BBQ grill

allenb
You're welcome. Glad to help. Renatoa pegged the cap problem and it's great news that it was that simple.

Keep us updated on further developments!

Jump to Forum: