Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New guy with questions....
agfa100
Ok, I have been doing this for about a year now with a popcorn popper. I usually go to the start of the second crack, with my machine that means about 7-7min 30 sec. The question I have is what happens during the "rest" I let my beans "rest" for about 3 days before grinding and what a great difference it makes. So what is going on during that "time out" so to speak.

Thanks for any insight.
wbill

renatoa
Welcome ! BBQ grill

The pro roasters are doing cupping some minutes after cooling, so guess the taste is already there...
I am cupping my roasts between three hours and next morning after roast, didn't noticed any additional aroma developing in the next day. Brew extraction though...
Rest is more or less a degassing, for espresso extraction, where too much CO2 seems altering the processes that happens in the puck.

If you think that one week bag smells better than a three days bag, when opened, you are right, but this not mean additional aromas developed in the longer stored bag. What you feel are the volatile compounds that left the beans and are gone, will never be retrieved in a cup...

agfa100
Ok, thanks but I sure do like waiting for three days as the aroma fills my kitchen when I open that mason jar it's just wonderful, and as my wife says the joy of coffee is the aroma. Thanks for letting me down gently.
wbill

snwcmpr
I drink the first batch the day of, or the day after, the day of roasting.
Yes, the flavor gets better as the days go by. I just cannot wait. It goes from really good to even better.
I was told Yemen takes 10 days rest. Like I am going to wait 10 days, right!!
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
Roast for 15 days and you have the cake for two weeks Grin
This is 600 grams (roasted) for my home consumption... packed in 3*200 bags, good to open 6th and 11th days.

agfa100
Ok, thanks for the feedback it sure smells nice after a couple of days. I do have some Yemen I have roasted but your are right it does not last long. Three days is about all I can wait before grinding.

Jump to Forum: