Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fluid Bed Chaff Collector
CoffeeInterest
I’m putting the final touches on my 7.5# Fluid-Bed roaster. I did a test run with a basic small Chinese cyclone and it really killed the cfm of my fan (which was also underpowered). The inlet/outlet was only 50mm so i had some pretty crazy adapters in place to get it to connect to the hood. Reduced the cfm too much.

So, i’m upgrading the vent fan to 660cfms and hoping to improve the chaff separation. I’m leaning towards a Thien-baffle style due to the shorter size it would afford me. Would this be worth it? Or is a cyclone the only real way to handle chaff on a 7.5# batch?

TLDR; Would this work for chaff collection on a 7.5# fluid-bed:
magaimg.net/img/78w8.jpg

PhilH
Hi

You could just give it a try and see what happens

- My guess is that there will be too much turbulence and it will blow a fair bit of chaff out of the outlet.
If you could insert a rolled sheet metal cone in there and an exit tube up the centre of that you'll get the classic cyclone low pressure point at the bottom where the air reverses direction and the chaff drops to the bottom of the can.

The cyclone / chaff collector will create some backpressure which will require a bit more blower power. Depending on what you are using you may be just on the point of considering a 2nd VC blower.

50mm may be a little small and may create too much backpressure. Best to try it with a 2nd VC and see how it works Im using a conical reducer tapering down from 6" to 2-1/2" (70mm) with an elbow inside the drum on my 5kg roaster. You do need reasonably high velocity for the cyclone to work well in spinning out the very lightweight chaff to the cyclone cone

some pics attached. I hope this is helpful.

regds Phil
Edited by PhilH on 02/13/2019 3:56 PM
Dalla Corte Mini, Compak K10F, 1.2kg FB LPG/PID FB, 5kg FB LPG/PID

PhilH
ok - trying again with posting the pics
you should be able to see elbow in the top of the can and the exhaust tube in the middle in the last pic which is looking up into the cyclone cone
PhilH attached the following images:
file-43.jpg file1-28.jpg file2-24.jpg file3-21.jpg file4-15.jpg

Dalla Corte Mini, Compak K10F, 1.2kg FB LPG/PID FB, 5kg FB LPG/PID

CoffeeInterest
Thank you for the detailed response! I didn't end up giving this a try, and it FAILED. What a mess!

I'm going to with a galvanized cyclone now. Not going to mess around with this part of the system any more.

Jump to Forum: