Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 4:31 AM
Awesome I sent an email to AllenB and JackH The email to JackH failed. I had screenshots of my settings.

allenb
08/18/2019 3:37 AM
Jack and I are enlisting help from our PHP site admin to try and solve as soon as possible. Thanks for letting us know.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 2:53 AM
I got another PM last night......... No email notice.

snwcmpr
08/17/2019 7:36 AM
Email address correct. I constantly check junk folder. I turned off, then on, the setting to receive notice.

JackH
08/17/2019 7:10 AM
Also check that there are no spam filters set for email.

Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,093
Newest Member: Reganjwright
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
RC Wall Thickness
CharcoalRoaster
As I continue to build out my larger capacity roaster I was having a hard time scavenging for a large enough metal pipe to use as a roast chamber. Then I remembered that I had a Solid aluminum sheet with .019" thickness. I know many people have used aluminum in the past. I've shaped it an secured it into an 5"x36" cylinder to potentially use as my RC. I would have preferred to use a thicker material but since I am no fabricator, well, this may just work. I got the idea from popcorn roaster RC "sleeves" that seem to be of similar thickness and don't take too much of a beating with small loads.

Concerns? Tell me why this won't work! Roflmao

renatoa
What about stainless steel tubes used for chimneys ?
There are a broad range of diameters, from 100 to 200 mm.

CharcoalRoaster
Only because I had this material on hand. I'll explore other options if this won't suffice

greencardigan
I use thin aluminium sheet rolled into a tube for my roaster. I have it rolled so I have a double thickness all around.
greencardigan attached the following image:
img_20180527_144631.jpg

CharcoalRoaster
Ah yes! Exactly what I've done with the exception of the glass portion on the bottom. I was trying to figure out how to get some sort of visual on the beans to see the roast progression. Have you run into any issues so far with the aluminum column?

On a side note, I recently purchased a TC4 board from you! Would be very interested to heat about how you've integrated that into your FB Roaster as I'm still trying to figure out how to most effectively set it up in conjunction with my heat source and blower.

(for reference, I purchased an Arduino One, TC4, and PWM board from Tindie)

What power source are you using? I'd love to see a wiring diagram if possible for your control box???

greencardigan
No issues whatsoever with the aluminium. It's supprisingly rigid but still lightweight when rolled to double layer.

I use the one TC4 control box for multiple roasters. There's some info here about my current controller.
https://forum.hom...post_64890

And my original controller was essentially the same.
https://forum.hom...post_56108

My roaster uses 3 x 1800W heat gun elements with a 600W vacuum machine motor.

CharcoalRoaster
Thanks for sharing those -- I'll be sure to take a look especially considering I'll be utilizing similar heater power but on one 4750w element instead of on multiple 1800w ones.

Cheers!

CharcoalRoaster
Quick clarification question based on the wiring diagram you provided --

Since I went with the PWM instead of a ZCD do I still need the random fire SSR or can I use regular ones?

renatoa
By PWM you mean control of a DC circuit / motor ?
If true, you need a transistor for control, not a SSR, which are triac based mostly, and designed for AC.

If you mean AC and slow PWM for heater (on-off relay style), then any SSR is fine.

CharcoalRoaster
No, control of an AC motor. I ordered the PWM board you recommended from another thread re: this same conversation.

I was just double checking here based on GreenCardigan's wiring diagram where he used a ZCD and random fire SSR in conjunction with an AC motor ( I think?)

greencardigan
If you use the CONFIG_PWM mode on the TC4, then a normal SSR connected to OT1 should be used for the heater. The PWM AC Dimmer board would connect to IO3 to control the AC motor.

The documentation I included in the sketch folder does not currently show this setup arrangement but I will add it some day. I have one of the PWM AC Dimmer boards on the way here to test.

renatoa
To have a better image, maybe you are interested to hear that pwm dimmer can be turned into a zcd/phase angle control with some hacking.
The dimmer has three blocks: a ZCD (zero cross detection), a SSR (triac control), and PWM to phase angle conversion circuit between them. This later block is the hardware equivalent to TC4 PAC software. There is no ICC operating mode available.

Looking at this partial schematic below of the control block:
https://esp8266-p...CD_3_s.jpg

... the PHS+ point in the left is the ZCD output, can be used to feed the ZCD input of TC4, and the CMD+ in the right is the triac control, TC4 OT1 output can be connected there to control the triac.

More details if someone is interested.
Edited by renatoa on 02/07/2019 4:53 AM

nfcwest1
If you still need a pipe for your project I have 8" x 24" SS sanitary Tri-clamp pipes with top and bottom cones along with a multitude of other fittings . I also have 6 inch by 24 inch pyrex tubes

Martin Hotes

nfcwest1
Here is my roast chamber I have that I can part with new never been used , I was going to build 2 roasters , but opted for one small one , now I am onto my 12Kg one

CharcoalRoaster
I may be interested but can I see some pics? Thanks!

Jump to Forum: