Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,967
Newest Member: Rox
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Organic Sumatra
Randy
Well, I've been lurking in the shadows...been enjoying my Hottop roaster and up until today have limited myself mostly to the beans of South America...I know, I'm a heathen in most roasters eyes but honesty the few beans I have tested outside of South America, including an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, tasted very citrus to me and quite frankly, if I want citrus I'll dive for the OJ first.
I decided to take the plunge and get serious about some beans other than SA, so I ordered 5 pounds of Organic Sumatra from our local coffee coop and I just got it out of the roaster.
I tend to like a dark roast just shy of oil on the surface, so i roast well into second crack. I had been starting my roasts at 300 degrees but recently have been experimenting with 275-290 and i like the outcome better. Today was 285. The beans swelled much bigger than most I've used.
When I popped on I did a search for Sumatra and came across a post from Ginny...made me smile, I named my roaster after her as she was so kind to me when I started. I see the memorial to her on the right and I know she would be proud that her forum is going strong.
Well, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what I've accomplished with this latest roast. Hoping a good 10 hour off gassing will be enough.
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

JitterzZ
Randy wrote:

Well, I've been lurking in the shadows...been enjoying my Hottop roaster and up until today have limited myself mostly to the beans of South America...I know, I'm a heathen in most roasters eyes but honesty the few beans I have tested outside of South America, including an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, tasted very citrus to me and
quite frankly, if I want citrus I'll dive for the OJ first.

I decided to take the plunge and get serious about some beans other than SA, so I ordered 5 pounds of Organic Sumatra from our local coffee coop and I just got it out of the roaster.
I tend to like a dark roast just shy of oil on the surface, so i roast well into second crack. I had been starting my roasts at 300 degrees but recently have been experimenting with 275-290 and i like the outcome better. Today was 285. The beans swelled much bigger than most I've used.
When I popped on I did a search for Sumatra and came across a post from Ginny...made me smile, I named my roaster after her as she was so kind to me when I started. I see the memorial to her on the right and I know she would be proud that her forum is going strong.
Well, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what I've accomplished with this latest roast. Hoping a good 10 hour off gassing will be enough.

Haha. I've thought the same thing. Citrus in my coffee is just gross!Shock
Not trying to discourage anyone as all palates contribute to the artcoffee drink
Edited by JitterzZ on 03/10/2019 8:28 AM

Do let us know how the roast turned out. My wife has been buying Sumatra at the store ( roasted in bins ) and likes it so I may buy some myself and do a roast for her.

The store labels their Sumatra as a medium roast, so I'm interested in how a darker roast came out.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

specialreserve
Randy wrote:

Well, I've been lurking in the shadows...been enjoying my Hottop roaster and up until today have limited myself mostly to the beans of South America...I know, I'm a heathen in most roasters eyes but honesty the few beans I have tested outside of South America, including an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, tasted very citrus to me and quite frankly, if I want citrus I'll dive for the OJ first.

might check out some centrals to bro..... Mexico and Guat have some super coffee and they are more coffee than foo foo flowers or orange juice and affordable. Roast on!
"friends dont let friends drink bad coffee"

Right I don't go for foo-foo... been really into Nicaragua varieties and the Guat has turned out nice too. If roasted to perfections some of the Columbia beans are fantastic too.

Randy
Well this morning will be my third pot and I will say I was very pleasantly surprised! I will start off by saying I am not one of those people that can pick up the subtle flavors of say...blueberry, so if I taste it, it's most likely a dominant flavor. I knew as soon as I smelled the aroma of the grinds soaking in my french press that I was gonna love it. This was the first time I ever tasted tobacco in a coffee...along with chocolate. It was smooth and buttery. I take my coffee with cream so I'm not sure where that buttery flavor came from but without a doubt it was there and I wasn't tasting that in my SA roasts.
Other than being robust or weak, I can't really say that I've been able to get a true sense of body in beans that I've roasted...but this coffee had body! As I've mentioned, I like a dark roast but there was not one ounce of bitterness in this brew and oddly enough, I was torn between having a rejuvenating experience and wanting to curl up in my recliner with a blanket and just savoring it.
I can say without a doubt this is my favorite roast to date.
I have to think that sticking with one geographical area for so long must have impacted my experience here...
Now I'm bummed that I only purchased five pounds...
With shipping I paid $35 for five pounds...I feel I got tremendous value here.
Edited by Randy on 02/02/2019 11:46 PM
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

Randy
specialreserve wrote:

might check out some centrals to bro..... Mexico and Guat have some super coffee and they are more coffee than foo foo flowers or orange juice and affordable. Roast on!

Yes, they are staples for me and I when I say SA I mean the entire continent and surrounding areas. Guats are some of my favorites...or were anyway...lol.

Where did you acquire the beans?... I'm salivating now and want to roast some, the little wife is a fan of Sumatra.

Randy
The Green Coffee Buying Club. I just checked and they are sold out. The one thing about this coop is you have to jump when they have an offering as they rarely hang around long.

https://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php

Jump to Forum: