Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
SR 500 temp drop
kwrcst
So I have a thermocouple installed on my sr500. It reaches just below the metal ring on the cup. What I’ve consistantly seen happen is I get to first crack, around 415-420 and when they light off and start popping, my temp drops 10-20 degrees. I thought maybe it was something about that temp and it was cycling and that’s why but tonight I hit FC around 405 and I dropped to about 390. My problem with this is my FC stalls out at that temp drop. Once I get back to it, the rest start going again. I’m sure this effecting my overall flavor profile because I can’t roll through it. Like it’s baking some and not the others

Anyone else seeing this happen? Could FC really cause a temp change in the chamber by that much? I know it’s not exact bean temp but I’m in the mass pretty good so I’d imagine it’s as accurate as I’mgojng to get.

renatoa
Crack is due to the humidity inside bean reaching the vaporization temperature and causing a small fracture with violent ejection of steam.
Because steam is "only" 100 C, indeed it could be the reason of drop in such small roast chamber volume.
It is less noticeable when happens in a 3-6 litres roast chambers, for pound-kg roasters.

kwrcst
At least I’m not going crazy. I guess I need to roll into FC on high with the fan lower than 1/2

Thanks for the reassurance

Nothing worse than a stall.. took me many a bean to get my SR500 to produce a consistent good drink. You may find this helpful...

https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5773&pid=67693#post_67693
It's bad luck to be superstitious

renatoa
Imo, flicks and crashes are the fears of this hobby that was been invented by someone to provide usual suspects for not so good roasts. Grin
For hot air based roasters, the key is to pump as possible constant and slow raising heat into beans for the whole process.
The inertia being the smallest of all roast methods, the worst treatment to beans is to erratically change power levels across the profile, the power change of heater will be immediately sensed by beans.
That's why using a PID control profile following, especially when PID not tuned, is the least recommended method of power control. Could be acceptable if coefficient values are chosen to ensure a big dampening of the output fluctuations.
Much better is to use several fixed power levels, manually changed based on experience. I had stunning roasts with only three power changes across the whole "profile", and no airflow change. (not fluid bed machine)

Again, take all the above as just my opinion... other machines behaviour could vary. As Jim Schulman wrote " ...the heat inputs required moment by moment to achieve this ET curve is based on the roaster's thermal characteristics, and is different for every roaster design"
Edited by renatoa on 02/01/2019 12:15 AM

kwrcst
well said

thank you

Jump to Forum: