Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1-1.5 kg FLUID BED ROASTER PROJECT
specialreserve
Im pretty stoked about this build I just started so wanted to share the process here. I have gotten some great ideas from the builders here and I enjoy getting input. The wife does the roasting and this is her request. Some of the things I had around and some I have bought and some Im still waiting on so we all know how that works. So shall we begin?

Objective: A compact table top type air roaster that will roast between 1 and 1.5 KG per roast to be used primarily for small roasts and as a sample roaster. *Quiet if possible (not like a B-52 on approach were the exact words).

I have decided to go with the path less traveled on this one and go with the sivetz kinda sorta almost like but not really build. I was able to locate the manufacturer of the heating elements here in the US they use(used) after much digging I might add. I have a pretty good set up for doing sheet metal work and pretty spiffy on the ole sheet metal brake so I am going with a more cabinet like design using 22 and 20 ga steel sheet rather than the spouting bean bed funnel type design. Im still sketching it out and will add some sketches as I get them done. Please throw in your ideas Im always open!!

Id like to put the blower motor in a small suitcase type setup (lack of a better descriptor) and have it remote like down under the table or maybe even outside LOL as per the "quiet" request.

Right now the heating elements should be here in a few days and I can build the "firebox" around them.

Control: Manual with the possibility of digi later

Parts:
1. Heating element 4500w 220v element built for sivetz roasters
A. control will be via inkbird PID and SSR
2. Blower: Ametek 2 stage 97 CFM controlled with SCR thyristor and if you are interested in this setup a nice explanation and video can be seen here by this gentleman : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkXOy0rNZ70
it remains to be seen how this will last over time we shall see and I will report.
3. Cooling tray will be operated using a dust collector connected to roaster but located outside roast room.

here a pic of whats up so far just the control panel but its fun! And Im a newb with this kind of electrical work. So new stuff to learn here.

https://drive.goo...BoYWN2QWtR
https://drive.goo...c2Qzd3YndV
Edited by specialreserve on 01/31/2019 12:25 AM
"friends dont let friends drink bad coffee"

JackH
Moved you to the Fluidbed area.

Your links do not seem to be working. I am not familiar with the google drive settings. You may have to make them public viewable.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

baldheadracing
The Google drive links are to a page that contains an image, not the image itself. The URL code is needed, not IMG:

specialreserve
baldheadracing wrote:

The Google drive links are to a page that contains an image, not the image itself. The URL code is needed, not IMG:

your a gentleman and scholar baldhead thanks

President_Los
Hows the build coming along??

specialreserve
I am trying to figure out the "sweet spot" for the heating element in relation to the bean bed. Or if there is such a thing? Specs for the heat are as follows .. element 240v 4500W using blower @ max 97 CFM

I can of course experiment with the placement and Im sure I will have to dial it in as I progress but I know some of you guys have already worked this out.

I will be happy to add pics of the element if interested.

specialreserve
President_Los wrote:

Hows the build coming along??

Hey brother .... I just got the heating element Fri. So I am starting to layout now. I will add photos/video as soon as I have something to look at. Thanks for checking!

Element 4500W 240 V

https://drive.goo...sp=sharing

CharcoalRoaster
That element looks very similar to the 240v 4500w one I am implementing in my build. I'll take pictures later but I installed it in an old steel ammo canister. I'm going to play with inlet/outlet layouts to see what will work the best in moving that hot air

https://www.ebay....2921702145

allenb
specialreserve wrote:

I am trying to figure out the "sweet spot" for the heating element in relation to the bean bed. Or if there is such a thing? Specs for the heat are as follows .. element 240v 4500W using blower @ max 97 CFM

I can of course experiment with the placement and Im sure I will have to dial it in as I progress but I know some of you guys have already worked this out.

If you will be utilizing a sensor to measure hot air inlet to the RC, leave enough distance between the end of the element and RC bottom to allow some mixing of the air, otherwise, there will be lots of stratification. Maybe 3 or 4" would do. Also, leave at least 1" between the elements and the wall of the heating element chamber to prevent radiant transfer through the wall.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

specialreserve
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

That element looks very similar to the 240v 4500w one I am implementing in my build. I'll take pictures later but I installed it in an old steel ammo canister. I'm going to play with inlet/outlet layouts to see what will work the best in moving that hot air

https://www.ebay....2921702145

I actually have that same one and weird you are using an ammo can. I was in Tractor Supply the other day and they had them on sale. I kept looking at those things thinking there were other uses for them. I kept scrounging and digging looking for these things (heating elements) and I am not experienced with them at all so it can be eye crossing and head scratching.

specialreserve
allenb wrote:

specialreserve wrote:

If you will be utilizing a sensor to measure hot air inlet to the RC, leave enough distance between the end of the element and RC bottom to allow some mixing of the air, otherwise, there will be lots of stratification. Maybe 3 or 4" would do. Also, leave at least 1" between the elements and the wall of the heating element chamber to prevent radiant transfer through the wall.

Yes sir I will be utilizing a K type connector on the roast air chamber (bean bed).

What a great nugget of info and I know from reading your research you have already done the bidness. Thanks a lot for that because I was sitting here sketching out the element chamber wondering if there was a forumula of some kind to determine the correct amount of space around these elements for peak efficiency.

My plan is to fab a box that will hold the element and be the main roast air inlet duct. It will reside inside another larger box which will contain insulation (like used on wood stoves). Or is that wasted effort? Should I just go with the steel box with the burner inside and let her rip? Thanks again

allenb
Using a housing to place the heating element tube/box inside of is a good way to go and it allows constructing without insulation. Connect your blower to the outer housing. Since the air entering the outer housing necessarily picks up any stray heat emanating from the heating element enclosure walls, there is close to 100% transfer of heat to the air stream which would be close to impossible to achieve using just the element enclosure alone even with a couple of inches of good insulation.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

CharcoalRoaster
Learn something new everyday! Never heard of the box within a box idea before for the heating element. What you said makes total sense too. Thanks gents!

Out of curiosity, how much heat inefficiency are we talking about without the secondary chamber picking up the excess? Negligible or enough to seriously consider?

specialreserve
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

Learn something new everyday! Never heard of the box within a box idea before for the heating element. What you said makes total sense too. Thanks gents!

Out of curiosity, how much heat inefficiency are we talking about without the secondary chamber picking up the excess? Negligible or enough to seriously consider?

I had a bell go off in my head when I read that ... I am trying now to incorporate it in my plan. Makes perfect sense to increase efficiency.

allenb
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

If you include around 2" thick of mineral wool high temp insulation, the losses should be negligible and should allow not having to upsize the element wattage. If no insulation, you may need to design with some headroom in the wattage calculations.

Jump to Forum: