Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Gigimedrano
04/17/2019 6:33 AM
Hi guys, my hot top has stripper a gear.. ive only had it for a lil over a year now hot top wants 120+ for a new motor and gearbox assembly any idea? Is this normal year and some Months dont seem lik

Ray Kahuna
04/16/2019 8:04 AM
has anyone built an adjustable coffee grind press?

Nitesh
04/01/2019 10:04 PM
Hello, I have been trying to get in contact with manufacturer of HB roaster in China but failed until now. Does anyone have idea who is the manufacturer of HB roaster in China?

allenb
03/30/2019 3:46 AM
Spammer babble from me and others have been removed from Centrifugal Roasters Thread. From here on we will toss them immediately. ThumbsUp

jpworks
03/27/2019 11:15 PM
What’s the preferred way to upload pics from iPhone?

Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,915
Newest Member: ignabel
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A newbie Designing his first roaster
JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
I have an urge to build my own coffee roaster, and I think a Sivetz roaster would be a really fun way to roast coffee. I have seen all sorts of different modifications on roasters and that allows me to tap into my creative abilities. However, I know very little about electrical circuitry and next to nothing about engineering. Still, I have been thinking through (simple) designs that I can conceive being built simply enough. It involves an electric leaf blower and a propane torch. I am thinking about connecting the fan and the heat source by some sort of 'T' configuration, where the fan is below and the heat is to the side. I figure the piping will resemble this 'T' shape as well.

I need help with understanding the logistics involved though. I have heard people talk about a certain horsepower needed for fluidizing the bean bed depending on how many grams of beans you roast at a time, but I'm not sure how I can figure that out. Same for the Wattage; I'm not certain what this means. Also, there's the thermocouple and I'm not sure what that is either. In laymen terms, what does all this mean?

I bought a Pyrex bake a round for my roasting shaft, but I have no other parts yet. Where do I go from here? And could a leaf blower work as a good fan?
Edited by JavaJoshua-BoquistBean on 01/28/2019 1:06 PM

greencardigan
There have been roasters built here that used leaf blowers. But a leaf blower will likely be very hard to use. Too much airflow and maybe not enough pressure. I would consider a small vacuum blower over a leaf blower any day.

JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
What do you mean by too much air flow and not enough air pressure? And do you mean something like a shop vacuum?

JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
Sorry, I know this is a bit sporadic. I just realized there is piping that needs to connect from the fan, to the heating element, and ultimately the bean shaft. Will these pieces need to be custom built, or can I find fitting for a Pyrex bake a round in most department stores?

greencardigan
JavaJoshua-BoquistBean wrote:

What do you mean by too much air flow and not enough air pressure? And do you mean something like a shop vacuum?

Leaf blowers are not usually designed for pressure or overcoming resistance. They are typically for high airflow. You may not be able to circulate a very deep bean column. Or if it does circulate, you may have trouble keeping the beans from blowing out or providing enough power to heat the large air flow.

JitterzZ

Sorry, I know this is a bit sporadic. I just realized there is piping that needs to connect from the fan, to the heating element, and ultimately the bean shaft. Will these pieces need to be custom built, or can I find fitting for a Pyrex bake a round in most department stores?

Howdy and Welcome. I'm just beginning my coffee roasting adventure and so I can't be of much help. However, I have been reading through this forum for several months just trying to get some direction, and I believe that my first build will be similar to this one ( https://forum.hom...post_40357 ), as I already have the 600W minivac motor. I thought you might be interested in the builders ingenuity and the simplicity of it. Here's a Pyrex bake-a-round build from allenb that I would also like to build https://forum.hom...post_41881 This forum is full of great builds and knowledgeable people. Enjoy.
Welcome
Edited by JitterzZ on 01/29/2019 7:32 PM

JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
Thanks for the help! I'll probably scrounge some things together based on the ideas I see here and go from there. Thanks for the help!

specialreserve
I am currently doing a build and I will include a parts list if you wanna follow it. Its a fluid bed design and kinda what you are wanting to do. I have done some preliminary testing on lofting beans etc and as per the others the vacuum motor is a good place to start for good reason due to design. I am using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016ZO5UE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It puts out quite a lot of wind to be sure. and there are plenty like it for you choose from.
"friends dont let friends drink bad coffee"

JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
specialreserve wrote:

I am currently doing a build and I will include a parts list if you wanna follow it. Its a fluid bed design and kinda what you are wanting to do. I have done some preliminary testing on lofting beans etc and as per the others the vacuum motor is a good place to start for good reason due to design. I am using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016ZO5UE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It puts out quite a lot of wind to be sure. and there are plenty like it for you choose from.

I would very much like to see your build and it’s progress! Thanks for the fan suggestion. Do you know how comparable it might be to a vacuum in a high end vacuum cleaner? I would like to find the expensive parts at goodwill or a restore, partly because I’m a cheapskate but also because you can find very great electronics to upscale, so I presume anyways.

JitterzZ

specialreserve wrote:

I would very much like to see your build and it’s progress! Thanks for the fan suggestion. Do you know how comparable it might be to a vacuum in a high end vacuum cleaner? I would like to find the expensive parts at goodwill or a restore, partly because I’m a cheapskate but also because you can find very great electronics to upscale, so I presume anyways.

Check his link ( https://www.amazo...&psc=1 ). It's a Vacuum Blower NOT a FAN. It's used in "commercial canister or utility vacuums".
Edited by JitterzZ on 01/30/2019 6:13 PM

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
After taking apart an old gas grill, it looks like the electronic igniter needs fixed. Also, it has two burners that are jointly attached. which would be difficult to reconfigure I think. . Any suggestions on cheap circular propane burners with adequate control? At this point, I want the easiest way out, so even a hot air gun might work. Any suggestions?

JitterzZ

After taking apart an old gas grill, it looks like the electronic igniter needs fixed. Also, it has two burners that are jointly attached. which would be difficult to reconfigure I think. . Any suggestions on cheap circular propane burners with adequate control? At this point, I want the easiest way out, so even a hot air gun might work. Any suggestions?

"camp stove mushroom burner (8K btus)":https://youtu.be/...
Give this thread a read-through:https://forum.hom...rowstart=0
Edited by JitterzZ on 02/03/2019 11:03 AM

JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
JitterzZ wrote:

"camp stove mushroom burner (8K btus)":https://youtu.be/...
Give this thread a read-through:https://forum.hom...rowstart=0

You're super helpful!

JitterzZ
woohoo

JavaJoshua-BoquistBean
I have been thinking about design a lot, and I picked up a motor while I was at it. At some point, I will post pictures. My motor is a 120V exhaust fan blower. I know it will be a bit excessive, but I was thinking that too much power isn't really an issue (plus it was much cheaper than its retail cost. I am thinking of housing it in an old steel water heater tank. (Its on the smaller side, but its built like a tank). This exhaust fan has a very large blowing radius that will need to be reduced for my roasting shaft. If I house the blower in the heater tank, I can tailor a circular chamber at the other end fit for the roasting shaft. This will make my air pressure even greater. Not that this motor requires me to be the most efficient, but I will reach this as a byproduct. Somehow, I want my propane igniter in this heater tank. Due to the width of the tank, along with the narrowness of the chamber shaft, I should not have to worry about losing air pressure. There are concerns still, however. Mostly, I am at a loss of how I am to connect the tank to the Pyrex bake around which will be my roasting shaft. I have seen people use cocktail lids and sink drains, but I am still holding out for maybe a better option? Secondly, making these parts detachable is a necessary at this point. Either that or some type of release mechanism needs built, but I am at a loss for either option. Initially I have thought about building a casing for my roasting shaft, which would have a cartridge at its base that can clip in and out of the tank, but maybe that's just making more work for myself. Any ideas as to what my easiest option might be?

A few questions about my motor if you don't mind- How excessive is it? At some point I might want to upgrade its usage, which will be a cinch, but I didn't do any of the math involved to see what I need. Previously, I had only been able to roast 20g at a time, I imagine I am at least 5 0r 6 times over that marker. Basically, I'm not certain as to what my maximum or minimum roast capabilities are.
Edited by JavaJoshua-BoquistBean on 02/28/2019 5:38 AM

JitterzZ
Check this thread for some tips: https://forum.hom...ad_id=5832

Jump to Forum: