Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
07/17/2019 3:46 AM
Almost a year since I donated ... So,I did it again.

snwcmpr
07/17/2019 1:54 AM
It seems some like to post here in the shoutbox and never return.

ziggyk
07/16/2019 7:58 AM
drum size

snwcmpr
07/14/2019 9:36 AM
BBQ grill

JackH
07/14/2019 7:09 AM
I am glad it is working Ken!

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,044
Newest Member: HduPlooy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roast Control Options ???
CharcoalRoaster
Hello to all my fellow FB roasters...

As I build out my larger capacity FB roaster I was thinking about integrating more control/monitoring over the roast and profiles. Currently I only measure a simple rate of rise on incoming heat into the RC to make sure my heating element didn't blow on my Roflmao in addition to visual/audio cues from the glass RC.

I've been searching around for monitoring/control options for FB Roasters and wanted to know what you (who use them) use?

Do you control air/heat with something? Do you control nothing and just measure temps, ROR, etc.? Can you utilize electronic controls with a FB like you would a drum roaster?

Cheers!

renatoa
FB is more controllable electronically than a drum, which is a high inertia roaster and needs to know the machine, to plan in advance any heat change.

snwcmpr
TC4. ET, BT and RoR.

I have a graph on the laptop, but I mostly watch the numbers and make notes as I roast. I have a set of changes to the heat I do as I watch what is happening. What I put in the notes are the pressure of the propane, BT and time. All details are saved on the graph, laptop. I have used the graph to get a more consistent rise of temp to 1C.
With RoR I can generally predict the temp and when.

I mostly follow a routine with the heat, propane, but adjust the air as need be. I currently have no way to measure or track the air flow.

Air flow then is to keep the RoR where I want at the start of 1C, and then not let it drop too far as the crack progresses. I go really low before it starts to rise again.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: