Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting Coffee
victornguyen
After reading Willem Boot's article concerning blending in the latest Roast Magazine, I decided to try roasting a 15 minute to first crack and end roast. The bean I used was a low-grown wet-processed Brasil that I typically get a good nutty flavor note with when taken to the edge of second.
What I ended up with was what I think is an American Roast by the color of the ground coffee. The resulting brew is sweet (as in sugary) with some citrus and starfruit notes when prepared in a press.
Just interesting enough to continue to play with. I guess what I'm fishing for here is whether others regularly practice this type of roast and what are the expectations?

BenKeith
Welcome.
Drinking a cup of coffee you roasted yourself always seems to taste better, unless you totally screw it up.
I think you will be even happier if you can speed it up to where you are getting to first crack (FC) in 9 to 10 minutes and end the roast at the end of FC about two the three minutes later just as you hear the last snaps of the FC.
Dragging a roast out that long, makes it real easy to end up with a baked tasting roast.

If you get into Ethiopian's and similar beans, you will want to shorten those up to hitting FC in about eight minutes, but still take them until the last snaps of FC.

Just curious, what did you use to roast them with?
Edited by BenKeith on 01/16/2019 6:02 PM

Jump to Forum: