Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
07/22/2019 10:57 PM
Maybe I forgot to add my username to the PP payment.

JackH
07/22/2019 9:24 AM
This reminds me to donate too.

JackH
07/22/2019 9:23 AM
I think it is Ken.

snwcmpr
07/22/2019 2:20 AM
It does not show on the donations list. Is that a manually updated list?

allenb
07/21/2019 12:48 PM
Thanks Ken! Great to have you as an HRO member! coffee drink

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,052
Newest Member: tarheel
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Built To Last...
Spyderman24-7
Built my heat gun/sifter roaster just a little over 2.5 years ago and it's been fantastic every step of the way. At first I'd considered buying a Behmor/GeneCafe, but read lots of issues many people have with them. I devised/built this setup far cheaper than either of those and in the time frame I've roasted around 265#, which in 200 gram batches is around 600 batches. Every batch has been good-great and all have been for espresso. The consistency, dependability, etc. I get from this setup is outstanding. I roast outdoors and ambient temps range from 90s down to as low as 15 degrees one morning last winter. Was a bit cold with the 10-15 mph wind, but I had no problem roasting in the same time frame I always do. Thanks for reading!

https://imgur.com...
Spyderman24-7 attached the following image:
ppulsl8.jpg

Edited by Spyderman24-7 on 01/16/2019 8:13 AM

allenb
Belated welcome to HRO!

I love the simplicity of your roaster. Does the dial thermometer give an approximation of bean temp?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

specialreserve
Thats a cool rig ...something Mcgiver himself would be proud of..... espresso? Did someone say espresso? :-)
"friends dont let friends drink bad coffee"

oldgrumpus
Most ingenious! I LOVE the creative and practical approach. The result speak for itself!!
Espresso: Franke Ecolino
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Old fire extinguisher with a crank, over a crab cooker, now building a drum roaster.

JackH
Excellent build!

The thing I learned about heat guns is to not turn them off abruptly after use, but let them cool down a bit by switching to the cool setting and running the fan for a while.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

greencardigan
Great roaster! I like the sifter use. I was considering something like this at one stage.

Spyderman24-7
allenb wrote:

Belated welcome to HRO!

I love the simplicity of your roaster. Does the dial thermometer give an approximation of bean temp?

I appreciate the reply! I positioned the thermometer as close to the bottom/center of the sifter screen as possible to give me an idea of how much heat is hitting the center of bean mass. I find that temperature/time are simply points of reference in order to help maintain consistency.

Spyderman24-7
JackH wrote:

Excellent build!

The thing I learned about heat guns is to not turn them off abruptly after use, but let them cool down a bit by switching to the cool setting and running the fan for a while.

No doubt and the Master brand has a cool position built into the main switch. After each batch I let mine cool down about 5 mins.

Jump to Forum: