Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Built To Last...
Spyderman24-7
Built my heat gun/sifter roaster just a little over 2.5 years ago and it's been fantastic every step of the way. At first I'd considered buying a Behmor/GeneCafe, but read lots of issues many people have with them. I devised/built this setup far cheaper than either of those and in the time frame I've roasted around 265#, which in 200 gram batches is around 600 batches. Every batch has been good-great and all have been for espresso. The consistency, dependability, etc. I get from this setup is outstanding. I roast outdoors and ambient temps range from 90s down to as low as 15 degrees one morning last winter. Was a bit cold with the 10-15 mph wind, but I had no problem roasting in the same time frame I always do. Thanks for reading!

https://imgur.com...
Spyderman24-7 attached the following image:
ppulsl8.jpg

Edited by Spyderman24-7 on 01/16/2019 8:13 AM

allenb
Belated welcome to HRO!

I love the simplicity of your roaster. Does the dial thermometer give an approximation of bean temp?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

specialreserve
Thats a cool rig ...something Mcgiver himself would be proud of..... espresso? Did someone say espresso? :-)
"friends dont let friends drink bad coffee"

oldgrumpus
Most ingenious! I LOVE the creative and practical approach. The result speak for itself!!
Espresso: Franke Ecolino
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Old fire extinguisher with a crank, over a crab cooker, now building a drum roaster.

JackH
Excellent build!

The thing I learned about heat guns is to not turn them off abruptly after use, but let them cool down a bit by switching to the cool setting and running the fan for a while.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

greencardigan
Great roaster! I like the sifter use. I was considering something like this at one stage.

Spyderman24-7
allenb wrote:

Belated welcome to HRO!

I love the simplicity of your roaster. Does the dial thermometer give an approximation of bean temp?

I appreciate the reply! I positioned the thermometer as close to the bottom/center of the sifter screen as possible to give me an idea of how much heat is hitting the center of bean mass. I find that temperature/time are simply points of reference in order to help maintain consistency.

Spyderman24-7
JackH wrote:

Excellent build!

The thing I learned about heat guns is to not turn them off abruptly after use, but let them cool down a bit by switching to the cool setting and running the fan for a while.

No doubt and the Master brand has a cool position built into the main switch. After each batch I let mine cool down about 5 mins.

Jump to Forum: