Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,236
Newest Member: dale67
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 and roaster setup.
a1970gto
The heater value displayed 0, I would hit my heater+5 button and it would go to 5 for a second, then drop back to 0. I do not have my pots set up, they're not enabled in the user.h file, nor connected yet.

greencardigan
Maybe Artisan was controlling the heater automatically and trying to set it to zero?

a1970gto
Ya, I believe that is the case, I think I’m understanding the software better now. Rather, starting to understand I don’t have a clue what I’m doing.

So once I have my roaster figured out, like what temps drying phase ends, first crack starts and ends, etc. Then I start modifying ramp/soak, or where do I go to start understanding all of that. Is the artisan webpage a good place to get the basics down?

a1970gto
I've got a couple of successful roasts under my belt. I've still got a long way to go on the Artisan software. but either way I'm getting 1lb out of a roast, 5 times the amount I could do in my popcorn popper. Thanks to everyone for the help so far. I'll post more pics once I get things more permanently put together.

CK
a1970gto wrote:

The heater value displayed 0, I would hit my heater+5 button and it would go to 5 for a second, then drop back to 0.

Did you figure out what was causing the system to override your desired button command?

I'm having a similar issue, but my heater does the opposite... I press the custom Heater off button in Artisan; the heater shuts off, goes to 0 for a second, and then jumps back to the previous power setting it had before I pushed the Heater off button.

I have to click the Artisan OFF button (top screen) to stop the heater, but that shuts the fan off as well. Then I restart the fan using a custom Fan Max button to cool the system.

Any pointers or help would be appreciated.

greencardigan
Do you have the TC4 or Artisan PID active?

If using the TC4 firmware PID, try sending PID;OFF and then the OT1;OFF otherwise the PID will keep overiding the heater.

The Artisan PID would likely do the same if it was active.

CK
greencardigan wrote:

Do you have the TC4 or Artisan PID active?

TC4 was checked in config/device. I tried a few different options to see what would happen... it's still not working correctly.

I'm running Artisan version 1.5.0, which has different arrangements for some of the drop down menus, navigation and setting up the parameters. I'll be uninstalling the program today and reinstalling for a clean start to everything. After troubleshooting I'll post what results are found.

CK
I uninstalled Artisan 1.5.0 and reinstalled 1.1.0. Factory reset, then followed Brad's videos for set up of the TC4 and running Artisan with PID. All is working as intended now, buttons, sliders, and readings. I'm not sure what the glitch was on the other setup.

a1970gto
I believe that artisan was controlling the roaster. I was hitting the charge button. After looking around in artisan I saw that under the control button had a check box for “start PID on charge” and that was what caused first roast catastrophe and it has cause a few issues since then as well. One another hint I’ve found too is not to use duty values in artisan. The video Brad sent showed to put the values in the button page, and not to send a value based command. For instance I did have all my buttons set up as OT1;50, it is much easier to have the command be OT1;{} and put the value in the the previous field on the button setup tab. That way your sliders work, along with if you have any other + or - buttons. I found that if I sent an OT2;40 command and then tried to do +5 OT2;{} command it would put the fan to a duty cycle of 5, instead of the intended 45. So I just changed my button to 45 OT2;{}. I’ll post a screen shot of what I’m talking about if someone needs it, on my phone right now.

a1970gto
i.imgur.com/dmFQS1i.jpg

Here’s what I’ve been using for a while now.

What is the largest metal funnel that you can get? I would like to upgrade my roast chamber size and don’t want to go huge, but I’ve found several on amazon that advertise 5.9” wide, not sure if that’s ID or OD. I’ve found some standard sizes at greatglass.com for Pyrex tubes, but would like to get to 6”, I believe it would be cheaper.

allenb
Hi GTO,

A good resource for roaster parts scrounging is your local restaurant supply or if in a small town, on line shopping at a good one like the one I used to shop at in Boulder Colorado here:

https://www.etund...ord=funnel
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

a1970gto
Thanks! I ended up finding this 9” funnel https://www.webst...913ST.html. Once I get it, I can measure and make sure I can find a glass tube to fit.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to secure it to my base? My brackets are about 6” wide, but with a 9” funnel my all thread would be in the way. I’m just considering bending it, but that might be a little tricky. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I can scrap my brackets for the base, they just worked so well with the current configuration.

Jump to Forum: