Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,969
Newest Member: stratocasterman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Transparent Fluid Bed Design
greenthumb
Appreciate the help! Might have to visit the supplier in Port Angles for other supplies.

CK
Here's an image of the current iteration of the transparent roaster. (TC4, ZCD, Arduino UNO) The PID has been dialed in relatively well, and the machine now runs automated alarm files for full auto roasting if desired. Analog controls are also functional for manual roasting. From clicking ON in Artisan Roaster Scope, it auto charges, roasts to a specific temperature/time profile, drops/cools, then shuts off when the beans fall below a preset temperature. The RC now has dual purpose insulation installed for easier handling post roast and for quieting the bean pinging on the thin glass.
A video will be posted soon.

Not sure why, but the image isn't loading as usual? Screenshot loads with image data, but not the image itself... I'll try a screenshot of the roaster.
CK attached the following images:
tc4_test_image.jpg tc4_version_screenshot.jpg

Edited by CK on 04/19/2019 3:18 AM

CK
Here's another image. It is of the new sound tube feature of this roaster. It is a custom drilled copper tube with a layer of aluminum foil covering the holes. The thin foil allows for sound to be transmitted up the pipe and out the open-ended elbow fitting towards the user. With this modification, it is now possible to hear 1C and 2C for better roast logging.

This post isn't showing the uploads either...
CK attached the following image:
sound_port_screenshot.jpg

Edited by CK on 04/19/2019 3:19 AM

JitterzZ
Same happens to me. Try shrinking the image to 800 x 800.
By the way, very clever idea to hear the cracksThumbsUp
Edited by JitterzZ on 04/18/2019 6:10 PM

JackH
It seems to work for me. File names often cause problems. Linux based so try to avoid spaces and special characters. Also do not use the preview feature, it does not work with images and you will have to re-load them again.
JackH attached the following images:
test1.jpg 100_0491.jpg mod_oven_back_5.jpg

Edited by JackH on 04/18/2019 8:45 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

CK
Thanks for the suggestions. The images were identical to my previous uploads so I'm not sure why they won't take this time. Screenshots worked fine.

CK
Roasted some Peru naturals today using the Artisan, Arduino UNO, TC4 setup. Here's a screenshot of the way it went. This was fully automated from the click of "ON"... charge, registering temperature markings, fan and heater, and drop. An alarm file was built to match the background profile. Still fine tuning the system PID and steps for the fan... These aren't the phase percentages many people use, but I'm experimenting with the naturals for development and end temperatures now. Tastes good!
transparent_roaster_artisan_background_profile_follow.jpg

CK
A video showing bean agitation speed on the current setup.
- 300-gram charge
- ran at 50% and 100%

CK
Here's an accelerated video of the actual roast from the screen-shot above.

greenthumb
CK, I was wondering how the roasted beans are removed with your new modifications since it appears that the bean cone is placed within the tapper end of the glass cylinder vice the straighter more narrow section.

CK
greenthumb wrote:

CK, I was wondering how the roasted beans are removed with your new modifications since it appears that the bean cone is placed within the tapper end of the glass cylinder vice the straighter more narrow section.

Bean removal is the same as shown in the video on page 1. The whole carafe comes off to dump the beans and the cone stays friction fixed (via the copper tube) in its silicone base. The new metal cone is assembled by inserting from the top of the carafe and into the silicone base of the carafe. The cone is slightly too big to pass through the tapered bottom portion of glass so it all fits snug.

CK
Images explain better.
metal_cone_setup.jpg

CK
Here's a video of how the sound tube was constructed and assembled. Before this modification sounds from 1C and 2C weren't audible on the roaster due to blower noise. Although the sounds of 1C and 2C are still slightly low, this unique feature allows roasters to hear the audible cracks for better data logging.
(I may remove some layers of aluminum foil to allow better sound transmission. This version has multiple layers.)

Jump to Forum: