JackH
01/04/2019 10:55 AM
2 years today...Miss you Ginny!

JETROASTER
01/04/2019 4:24 AM
A little shout for the G'ster. 2 yrs. roar

allenb
12/27/2018 5:14 AM
Hi Brandon, please disregard the "please update". I think we're all up to speed now. The need for cache clearing get's me every time! limb

NetriX
12/26/2018 11:36 AM
Update? pouring Merry Christmas back atcha

allenb
12/26/2018 3:07 AM
Merry Christmas Brandon. Please update soon! christmas tree

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,772
Newest Member: Norse roaster
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Transparent Fluid Bed Design
a1970gto
That's pretty awesome! I'm a far cry from that.

CK
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. Some of you have been curious about the build, so here is a material list as promised. These items are used to create the transparent roaster as seen today. (I hope everything is accounted for.)

Many more materials and products were used and discarded during R&D/trial and error over the course of a year... That is part of the enjoyment of this rabbit hole we all go down when making custom roasters.
Edited by CK on 01/11/2019 1:04 AM

Estrangedinbaja
CK wrote:

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. Some of you have been curious about the build, so here is a material list as promised. These items are used to create the transparent roaster as seen today. (I hope everything is accounted for.)

Many more materials and products were used and discarded during R&D/trial and error over the course of a year... That is part of the enjoyment of this rabbit hole we all go down when making custom roasters.

Hey CK,
Any idea of a general ballpark of what this machine cost to build?

CK
Quick answer; too much. But hey, it's a hobby and an accomplishment.

General ball park looking at the list... my cost of items (not including failed parts and ideas along the way), probably about $900-$1000. Much could be sourced cheaper from overseas if a person doesn't mind waiting 6-8 weeks for shipping... I don't have the time for that, so my costs were higher to get product fast. Also, I would guess a few hundred hours of design, CAD, reading reviews, learning about products, and shopping for parts.
CK attached the following image:
material_list_transparent_roaster_r1.png

Edited by CK on 01/11/2019 1:05 AM

CK
Here's an image to show the scale of the small 2 amp - 240w motor used in this build. It's a good fit for this design and the 4th motor I tested. It came from a Bissell corded stick vacuum. https://canada.bi...030c#specs

Previously I tried;
1. 50mm EDF @ DC 14.8V 250 watts for RC planes - fun and powerful with lots of flow under no pressure, but it stalls with static pressure from heater resistance, ducting, and bean mass, no good
2. 10A 1200 watt full size vacuum motor - too heavy and loud, much vibration, too dirty - from a used vacuum
3. 5A 600 watt corded stick vac motor - great sized unit to be used in version 2 with Arduino/TC4 setup.
CK attached the following image:
2a_vacuum_motor.jpg

Edited by CK on 01/18/2019 7:23 AM

renatoa
Yep, and this can be found as spares in the $20 ballpark, for a lot of vac brands, posted somewhere in the past a brands/codes list of similar items...

LE:
AEG Ardo Bosch Brandt Candy Electrolux Hoover LG Moulinex Nilfisc Philips Rowenta Samsung Siemens
Cross Reference: EAU61004901 VCC264E02 VC9205FS4 VK8914NHCQ

CK
This is a CAD bottom and top section view of the heater and how it was made. These show the intake and exhaust air flow pattern through the custom heat coils.
CK attached the following images:
heater_design_bottom_view.jpg heater_design_top_view.jpg

Linnaeus
Hey CK,

Really like your build. Very original configuration. I used a 3d printer for mine as well, but only to print molds. ( https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5442 )

I'm really intrigued by the 3d printed couplings. How is it that they do not melt under the heat? Specifically the coupling at the top of your roast chamber.

http://www.linnaeus.photography
Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

CK
Linnaeus wrote:
I'm really intrigued by the 3d printed couplings. How is it that they do not melt under the heat? Specifically the coupling at the top of your roast chamber.

Thanks Linnaeus. The couplings were made using high temperature food grade PLA from 3DK Berlin in Germany (3DK TOP). It needs to be annealed in an oven at 110C after printing, which causes it to shrink 3-4% on the horizontal plane, and a little expansion on the vertical depending on the part geometry. After that it's loadable to about 230C with no issues at all.

My exhaust temperature never gets above 220C, so all works just fine.
Edited by CK on 01/18/2019 8:45 AM

CK
renatoa wrote:

Yep, and this can be found as spares in the $20 ballpark, for a lot of vac brands, posted somewhere in the past a brands/codes list of similar items...

LE:
AEG Ardo Bosch Brandt Candy Electrolux Hoover LG Moulinex Nilfisc Philips Rowenta Samsung Siemens
Cross Reference: EAU61004901 VCC264E02 VC9205FS4 VK8914NHCQ

As a correction, these blowers/motors referenced are not the same as what I'm currently using. They are actually bigger in power usage and in dimensions than the 2 amp motor in my build.

https://canada.bi...030c#specs

Jump to Forum: