Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
12/14/2019 4:07 AM
I read somewhere that higher elevations have faster roast time and require somewhat lower temperatures. air is thin and has less Oxygen

allenb
12/14/2019 12:44 AM
Yes, 1st off, you must use only Panama Esmeralda Geisha beans and be sure to only roast on Saturdays. Actually, this isn't completely true. Please post in all about roasters forum. Thx!

wjohndon4566
12/13/2019 10:36 AM
I’m at 9,000 feet elevation, is there any special adjustments that need to be made to roast using an SR 540 at this elevation?

snwcmpr
12/07/2019 9:29 AM
roar

snwcmpr
11/27/2019 11:44 AM
greenman

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
pisanoal

Total Members: 6,294
Newest Member: larrylwill
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Jared Brunette - 5.00
Daniel Boozer - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Newbie here looking for tips
Syncopadence
Hey everyone, new roaster here. I read through the roasting 101 basics and found some useful info, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for my equipment. I'm using a ceramic roaster that you use on the stove, and was wondering if there are any tips/general guidance you might have? I use this on my gas stovetop, so should I be adjusting my flame throughout the process?
Thanks in advance for any help, and I apologize if this info is already posted somewhere.

CharcoalRoaster
Welcome! Can you post a picture or a link to the roaster you're using? That would be helpful for receiving feedback, advice, tips, etc.

Syncopadence
Sure thing, it's this one here: Nuvo Eco Ceramic Handy Coffee Bean Roaster https://www.amazo...-BbDAWCBJ4
Edited by JackH on 11/24/2018 7:49 AM

renatoa
Continuous agitation is the key of success.
Try various flame settings until you hear cracks (like popcorn) in the 7-10 minutes ballpark.
Before cracks start probably you should lower the flame a bit, but is difficult to predict exactly how much, this is too much a senzorial experience...

In general, and others may correct me if I am incorrect...

You want a steady semi-rapid increase in temp ( 300-350 ) up until first crack and this process should consume 6-7 minutes. At first crack you want the temp to rise but not as fast and you want to extend the first crack event about 2 minutes. If you want to go a bit further to second crack and beyond you then want a more rapid rise in temp. If in second crack I typically do not let that event go more than 10 seconds or so then dump those beans and cool them to 100 degrees within a 4 minute period.

Store the beans for off-gasing at least 24 hours and then give them a grind and a pour-over..

Jump to Forum: