topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
07/17/2019 3:46 AM
Almost a year since I donated ... So,I did it again.

snwcmpr
07/17/2019 1:54 AM
It seems some like to post here in the shoutbox and never return.

ziggyk
07/16/2019 7:58 AM
drum size

snwcmpr
07/14/2019 9:36 AM
BBQ grill

JackH
07/14/2019 7:09 AM
I am glad it is working Ken!

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,047
Newest Member: ibrar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
long first post - Gene Cafe now or wait for reviews on Behmor?
meatpile
First post here.

I've been an ALP raoster for a little over 6 years I guess. I roast for personal use, about 3 roasts ( 1.5lbs green ) per week. I currently have a bravi, had 2 Alps. Both Alps died, the Bravi is on the way out.

I'm interested in the gene cafe due to the ability to play with the roast profile ( and see the roast! ), and remove the drum to cool on a pan, and then immediately throw on another batch to roast. From reviews I've seen here, I gather I can roast 3 batches in an hour. My Alps had to be cooled for an hour between roasts....

Smoke is not an issue. I've also read that the Behmor cannot really roast a pound full city plus, where I've read the Gene can roast a heavy half pound pretty much to vienna . Never would, but like that I can.

The extra $150 is no biggie either. FWIW.

As far as my Alps dying - the problem is mine. I won't clean them. That's just who I am. That said, I won't be cleaning any roaster much, unless it's easier to clean thatn the Alp - which is a huge hassle. If the Gene is as easy to clean as - for instance - an isomac Tea - no problem. It's not like I never cleaned it - but it was maybe quarterly. And it took a couple of hours. Every time I did it I wished I had a different roaster....

The lack of cleaning is what killed the Alps. One had busted shutters ( Swissmar replaced the unit entirely, 2 years out of warranty, I didn't even ask ). The second one just basically clogged up with chaffe and residue ( Swissmar charged me $150 for a brand new Bravi ), and my Bravi lid has currently melted due to residue bluilding up which blocked airflow. Swissmar has asked me to 'send it in'.....

Needless to say - the quality of these roasts declined the dirtier the machine got. Mainly due to airflow restrictions.

At any rate, I think the Gene Cafe is for me. The Behmor seems to have more things to break, plus I like the complete control of the profiles. I anticipate reading this board for profiles, too.

Thoughts?

BTW - Great review on the Gene. It's what sold me.
 
ginny
The Gene Cafe is great. I love mine. One of the things I really like is that I can roast a darker roast then in the Hot Top.

Eddie did a great review of the Gene Cafe. He will be doing one soon on the Hot Top.

The Eddie and Ginny Show with full RSS feed and Podcast download will be coming soon and our very first topic will be the Hot Top v. Gene Cafe.

Get you questions ready. We will try to do a live show via phone connection. If we have any trouble email will be instant for the show.

Thanks for your comments,

ginny

alwayss:8s:8
 
meatpile
I like the idea of the hottop, but some of the reviews I've read give me pause. Mainly the quality of construction - which is an issue with the alp, but the Alp was 1/2 the cost - and the fire issues. Yikes.

The review Eddie did describing how many roasts he did in one day basically sold me on the Gene. I can Christmas roast for my neighbors on Dec. 22nd! I'd previosuly read of cooling issues with the Gene, but I have no problem pulling the drum and dumping the beans myself - I did it with the Alp all the time. I kinda prefer it.

Also - the analog control features seem like a blast.

So really - I haven't considered the hottop.

I like some of the home-made units, though!
 
ginny
Hi there meatpile:

Great post, thanks. I must tell you that Eddie's review sold me on the Gene Cafe.

I had a couple of small problems in the beginning but Tim at Fresh Bean took care of the problem right away.

There will be an interesting new thread very soon, the Gene Cafe v. Hot Top, a side by side reviews by myself and Eddie on the roasts from the Hot Top v. Gene Cafe.

Eddie has my original Hot Top, the analog model bought new in 2003. I just received the new KN 8828 B model (7/2007) that has: Auto and manual control roasting, Temperature, time, fan speed, and heating element power can be modified during the roast, Auto mode allows operation much like older models as well...

I noticed right out of the box a few differences between the two: the chaff tray is 4 times the size as the original, the button to remove the glass front is larger, the heat protection grids seem to be larger, the point on top for been drop looks a bit wider.

I will have Eddie measure a few things to see if I am on target with the design differences.

Will have to enlarge the area I use for roasting out in my patio. I have been using my open grill as a table, I put some tempered glass I had over the open/grill and use it as a table, works great!!

I will post a picture when I figure out how to setup the two roasters side by side...

I loved my Hot Top but could not get really dark roasts. After reading the review by Eddie, talking with him about the roasting levels of the Gene Cafe I realized I could get darker roasts then I could from the Hot Top.

Bye the way the construction of the Hot Top is excellent. I pulled apart my original several times for "the big clean" and the unikt is very well made.

That is how all this started, Eddie and his darn review!!!

Thanks again for joining the forum and for your posts.

ginny

alwayss:8s:8s:8

sometimes I wish you guys signed with your real names!!! I feel funny calling you meatpile!
 
EddieDove
meatpile wrote:

I'm interested in the gene cafe due to the ability to play with the roast profile ( and see the roast! ), and remove the drum to cool on a pan, and then immediately throw on another batch to roast. From reviews I've seen here, I gather I can roast 3 batches in an hour. My Alps had to be cooled for an hour between roasts....


You absolutely can roast with profiles on the Gene Cafe. While one can have some profile control at 250 grams, I found the best profile control at ~227gram batches ... very reapeatble, very consistent. I found 300 gram batches to be more "set and forget" ... little to no profile control. Send me an email and I will send back a ZIP file with a bunch of logs for roasting coffees with profiles.

If you have an area where you can just leave your roasting equipment out, roasting 3 batches of coffee can be done in 60-90 minutes. I pushed my Gene Cafe hard, used external cooling, and did not allow it to cool between batches which is why I could get 3 batches done per hour. Tim Skaling at Fresh Bean, Inc, who does all of the Gene Cafe warranty repair for the U.S., would emphatically advise allowing the Gene Cafe to finish the cooling cycle between roasts. Even as such, if you do a 20 minute roast, cool the beans externally and allow the roaster to finish a 10 minute cooling cycle while you take care of what you just roasted and get the next batch ready, then you are done with three batches in 90 minutes.

I rarely roast beyond Full City+ (a few snaps into 2nd crack) so my roasts in the Gene Cafe rarely took 20+ minutes and if it did, then I adjusted the profile to shorten the roast because I thought that was just too long for that roast level.

Removing the drum while hot for external cooling is simple, but remember it is HOT! Shock

meatpile wrote:
Smoke is not an issue. I've also read that the Behmor cannot really roast a pound full city plus, where I've read the Gene can roast a heavy half pound pretty much to vienna . Never would, but like that I can.


One can definitely French roast beans in the Gene Cafe. I roasted two 227g profiled batches of Sweet Maria's French Roast Blend to French ... yes, boiling 2nd crack and more and terminated the roast at 18 minutes and 45 seconds. First crack was at 13 minutes 25 seconds and second crack began at 17 minutes 25 seconds ... both batches. The repeatability of the roaster is excellent, but like any other, you have to learn the roaster.

meatpile wrote:
As far as my Alps dying - the problem is mine. I won't clean them. That's just who I am. That said, I won't be cleaning any roaster much, unless it's easier to clean thatn the Alp - which is a huge hassle. If the Gene is as easy to clean as - for instance - an isomac Tea - no problem. It's not like I never cleaned it - but it was maybe quarterly. And it took a couple of hours. Every time I did it I wished I had a different roaster....

The lack of cleaning is what killed the Alps. One had busted shutters ( Swissmar replaced the unit entirely, 2 years out of warranty, I didn't even ask ). The second one just basically clogged up with chaffe and residue ( Swissmar charged me $150 for a brand new Bravi ), and my Bravi lid has currently melted due to residue bluilding up which blocked airflow. Swissmar has asked me to 'send it in'.....

Needless to say - the quality of these roasts declined the dirtier the machine got. Mainly due to airflow restrictions.

At any rate, I think the Gene Cafe is for me. The Behmor seems to have more things to break, plus I like the complete control of the profiles. I anticipate reading this board for profiles, too.

Thoughts?


If you can't handle the cleaning requirements of the Gene Cafe ... :(

1. Make sure screen underneath is not clogged
2. Pull the chaff collector out, rough if you like
3. Turn the cap about 1/8 turn and remove
4. Dump chaff and make sure screen is clear
5. Put cap on and turn 1/8 turn
6. Shove chaff collector back in, rough if you like

Other than that, depending on how much you roast, take the screws out of the chaff collector and smear orange hand cleaner all over the inside and let it sit. Smear some more, rinse and put it back together. I guess you could also just let it soak in something and scrub the inside with a bottle brush. For the drum, pretty much the same thing, just don't use Pumice on the glass.

meatpile wrote:
BTW - Great review on the Gene. It's what sold me.


Thank you very much! Compliments are always immensely appreciated! Grin

meatpile wrote:
I like the idea of the hottop, but some of the reviews I've read give me pause. Mainly the quality of construction - which is an issue with the alp, but the Alp was 1/2 the cost - and the fire issues. Yikes.

The review Eddie did describing how many roasts he did in one day basically sold me on the Gene. I can Christmas roast for my neighbors on Dec. 22nd! I'd previosuly read of cooling issues with the Gene, but I have no problem pulling the drum and dumping the beans myself - I did it with the Alp all the time. I kinda prefer it.


I believe in being as objective as possible and this is one thing that irritates me about comparisons between these two roasters. While they are similar in batch size, in order to have the same capability with profile like the Gene Cafe, you have to spend at least $720 on a Hottop (latest model KN-8828B ... Hottop USA website) whereas the Gene Cafe is $495 ... a difference of $225 which is a significant difference and a lot of money for some. If you go for the programmable Hottop, it is $920 (Hottop USA website) which is a $425 difference ... almost the cost of a second Gene Cafe.

Thus far, in taking apart the Hottop, it is heavy and appears to be built very well. Another advantage with the Hottop is that as long as I have one, and can afford it, I can convert it to any of the other models; I think this is an excellent selling point.

For me, volume was an issue and with the Gene Cafe I could simply outroast the Hottop. When doing lighter roasts, that took 15 minutes or less, I could do 4 batches per hour.

ginny wrote:
That is how all this started, Eddie and his darn review!!!


Thank you very much! Compliments are always immensely appreciated! s:5

I hope this is helpful. If I missed something, just ask ...
Edited by EddieDove on 08/01/2007 2:07 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/
 
http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
meatpile
I just ordered a gene cafe.......

c:3
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
But wait... do I need to unlearn ? Roasting Coffee 3 06/22/2019 5:29 AM
Behmor 1600+ researching move to K+ HotTop Roaster 5 05/08/2019 6:10 AM
Behmor 1600, environment temp Roasting Coffee 3 04/22/2019 7:48 PM
New behmor coffee roaster??? Behmor 1600 9 04/15/2019 4:34 PM
Behmor 1600 Competitor? Other Roasters 3 04/13/2019 1:24 AM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2019 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX